Why become a member? ×

NCD! Ampeg 810 fridge to complete the SVT

Bob Lord

Been after an 8x10 for a while to complete the SVT rig. Went today to pick up one I got on eBay.

Sounds good, except I can't really crank it at home right now to gig volume to really hear what it sounds like in anger. Pretty angry, I'd imagine.

After hearing horror stories about carting them about, I have to say it's actually easier (provided you've got wide enough doors etc) to move than a couple of 4x10s, just because you wheel it about like a trolley. The head is more of a pain in the backside tbh

Anyway, i'm delighted & wanted to share in the delight with you :D

IMG_1133.jpg

Edited by Bob Lord
  • Like 12

4 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

Impressive. They do look the biz, those classic Ampeg rigs. Has anyone ever tried putting lightweight neo drivers in an Ampeg 8x10? Would be an expensive experiment, but I'd love to hear if it would work. Have fun with the new toy.

I imagine it'd sound almost the same, but take the weight down to a more managable 65-70 kg or so :D

14 hours ago, Bob Lord said:

a suzuki grand vitara. it only just fits

I’ve got a medium 5 door hatchback doubt it would fit, only thing that’s ever put me off getting one, 410&115 plus bass and boxes it’s like Tetris but just about fits. 

Its an awsom cab though 

• Like 1

Nice!the classic for a reason.I really miss my Cl rig ( nowt like it) I used to boost the mid and high (selector in the middle) drop the low to a quarter with ultras engaged and it was tone heaven! hope it serves you well dude..I dont miss the weight though 😉

Edited by danbowskill
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/12/2018 at 18:21, Bob Lord said:

After hearing horror stories about carting them about, I have to say it's actually easier (provided you've got wide enough doors etc) to move than a couple of 4x10s, just because you wheel it about like a trolley.

How many flights of stairs have you carried it up so far?

I wish I still had my SVT rig. Transport issues forced to go get rid of it.

24 minutes ago, joeystrange said:

How many flights of stairs have you carried it up so far?

I wish I still had my SVT rig. Transport issues forced to go get rid of it.

none so far :) I had my first gig with it last night, at a place I know well, so I knew what the load in would be. 2 steps into the pub, 2 steps up onto the little stage. At an unknown venue (or one with a flight of stairs) I'll take my Ashdown stuff (4x10, 1x15). Life's too short for a hernia :D

Edited by Bob Lord

Maybe we should campaign for venues to be fridge friendly and have ramps and lifts installed.

About 20 years ago I bought an empty battered svt cab as a project and only having a saloon car I cut it in half so had the choice of 4x10 or 8x10 but it was still a heavy lift. After a few years I looked at cutting them down further but it was not practical and I made some 2x10 B&Q cabs of the same volume, but all the extra tops and bottoms made it look huge and I only ever used it as a 6x10 setup.

Now using an SVT610Hlf.

Svt 3.jpg

Svt 2.jpg

Svt 1.jpg

4x2x10.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, goingdownslow said:

Maybe we should campaign for venues to be fridge friendly and have ramps and lifts installed.

About 20 years ago I bought an empty battered svt cab as a project and only having a saloon car I cut it in half so had the choice of 4x10 or 8x10 but it was still a heavy lift. After a few years I looked at cutting them down further but it was not practical and I made some 2x10 B&Q cabs of the same volume, but all the extra tops and bottoms made it look huge and I only ever used it as a 6x10 setup.

Now using an SVT610Hlf.

that is great! I'm slightly disappointed you didn't end up with eight 1x10's tho :)

There is something so simple and yet brilliant about the SVT and 8x10

Here is my cat, Andrew, checking the standby on mine

andrew.jpg

Nothing simple about transporting either of the heavy sods, but then, where would be the fun in that?

I have found the 6x10 to be a little bit more forgiving in terms of transport.

But both do fit comfortably on the deck of most pickup trucks. I use a Holden (Vauxhall I guess) Colorado

I have managed to get the 610 into my Golf before.

Edited by basshead56
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, drlargepants said:

Excuse the crap head, but the cab has headlined Glastonbury !

Funnily enough, mine's played Glastonbury too! I got it off the bloke who used to play bass in The Enemy, and he used it when they played in 2007.

Not particularly a fan of them, but it's a kinda cool bit of rock triv