Why become a member? ×

8” speakers

gpw5150

I have 4 x 4 ohm 8” speakers at home, unused.  FaitalPro 8fe-200

do I;

1, build 2 x 2x8 cabs

2, Sell them!

my head says build 2 small cabs for home/messing.  But, nit having a workshop or woodwork gear means I will have to outsource the designed cab build - anyone know anyone who could do this?

1 minute ago, fleabag said:

Do you really need two cabs if just home messing, as you say ?  May as well build one 4 ohm  4X8 cab.  Unless you dont want a 4 ohm cab, or your amp doesnt run down to 4 ohms

The amp will do down to 2 ohms.  I figured that i can build 2 larger 2x8’s and split them for gigging...

if anyone has a pre designed/planned cab - please shout me!

1 minute ago, fleabag said:

I  thought you were just thinking of making cabs for home messing ? You never mentioned gigging in your first post

Well y’know - just tiny gigs or when i have no option but to tke our mini cooper.

4x8 is a good call though!  Could i get deeper bass with a 4x8 vs 2 larger sized 2x8’s - in theory?

I dont know about deeper bass, but a four 8's cab will shift more air and also have a volume incease over a two 8's cab, but of course, you lose the versatility of 2 cabs.

As for whether the Faital already has decent deep bass, i couldnt say.  I can say that it depends on their design.  I used to own two  Markbass New York cabs that used  four 6" drivers in each , and the low end on them was outrageous, so size is no guide. I guess the low end of those was due to having four of them, so maybe a bigger 2 x8 could achieve that.

The TSP's of the Faitals would tell you though, and if mounted in the correct volume cab ...

Edited by fleabag