Why become a member? ×

A bit of a weird one maybe?

ambient

An electroacoustic piece. There's no instrumentation at all here; it's all just sounds that I recorded during a recent visit to Amsterdam in the Netherlands. I did a gig there, and spent most of the three days wondering around the museums; specifically the Rijksmuseum and Stedelijk, and recording in the streets and around the canals. 

https://m.soundcloud.com/user-987830578/connecting-places-to-sound-one-amsterdam

Edited by ambient

4 hours ago, BassBus said:

I wonder how many people will get that? It congers up loads of images in my mind (if that doesn't sound like I'm on something). I like the way you've used effects on the sound sources.

Thanks for listening. It’s probably the first piece for my PhD portfolio. The title of the track is the title of my PhD; Connecting Places to Sound. Beneath the sound of the traffic in most cities is a wonderful musicality, whether it’s birds singing, church bells, bicycle bells, we tend to ignore it though. 

I mostly used GRM plugins, the sounds themselves were recorded on a little Zoom H2N recorder. The classical music is some buskers sat by the Rijksmuseum.

1 minute ago, PawelG said:

Love it.
It reminds me of a movie ''Samsara''. If I didn't know you did it, I'd definitely say it's a part of a soundtrack to that movie. Awesome.

I've never heard of that, I'll be sure to check that out. One the great things doing this is discovering what other people have done; either musically or in books. Thanks for listening :) 

3 minutes ago, ambient said:

I've never heard of that, I'll be sure to check that out. One the great things doing this is discovering what other people have done; either musically or in books. Thanks for listening :)

I hope you'll like it. It's been filmed over 5 years or so in 20+ countries around the world. Only sound and vision. I highly recommend it. It's magical. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ambient said:

Thanks for listening. It’s probably the first piece for my PhD portfolio. The title of the track is the title of my PhD; Connecting Places to Sound. Beneath the sound of the traffic in most cities is a wonderful musicality, whether it’s birds singing, church bells, bicycle bells, we tend to ignore it though. 

I mostly used GRM plugins, the sounds themselves were recorded on a little Zoom H2N recorder. The classical music is some buskers sat by the Rijksmuseum.

Great idea. 👍

• Like 1