Why become a member? ×

Binned the compressor

skidder652003

On 07/12/2018 at 17:26, skidder652003 said:

Had a gig last week and the volume kept coming and going, weird. Anyway found out the culprit was a Boss LMB3 so took it out of the chain, instantly more clear and defined sound, easier to control the dynamics with my fingers (Duh), its going in the bin, never really understood what it did TBH, less obstruction in the signal chain the better sez I, that is all!

Firstly, it amazes me that anyone would have a pedal in their signal chain if they “never really understood what it did”.

Secondly, either that pedal is goosed or - in light of my point above - it sounds as though you had the compressor cranked so hard it was ‘pumping’. That kinda works if you’re producing an EDM banger, but not so much if you’re playing a rendition of Mustang Sally down the pub.

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Skol303 said:

Firstly, it amazes me that anyone would have a pedal in their signal chain if they “never really understood what it did”.

Secondly, either that pedal is goosed or - in light of my point above - it sounds as though you had the compressor cranked so hard it was ‘pumping’. That kinda works if you’re producing an EDM banger, but not so much if you’re playing a rendition of Mustang Sally down the pub.

well yeah maybe, actually I think it may have been my old Pearl phaser that is causing the trouble, its not a happy bunny with 9v daisy chain, still the fact remains that the effect of the compressor pedal (everything set to about 12 o'clock) was so subtle as to be not needed, and there was a definate improvement in clarity to my cloth ears.

11 hours ago, skidder652003 said:

...the fact remains that the effect of the compressor pedal (everything set to about 12 o'clock) was so subtle as to be not needed, and there was a definate improvement in clarity to my cloth ears.

Compression is an enigmatic and often misunderstood tool amongst bass players. Which is ironic, given that bass is an instrument that really benefits from compression.

But it’s not essential. You won’t sound ‘worse’ without it. You just won’t sound ‘better’ 😉

One of these days I'm going to write a thread on how to set up a compressor for bass guitar, step by step. Until then, either experiment with yours DIY style or just leave it well alone. It very easy to do more harm than good with compression if you don't know what you're doing, that's for sure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Skol303 said:

Compression

"...it’s not essential." 

"You won’t sound ‘worse’ without it." 

"It very easy to do more harm than good with compression if you don't know what you're doing, that's for sure."

Three great lines of wisdom on the subject, from someone who does know what he's talking about.

Thank you.

38 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

@Skol303 i’d Read that

30 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Three great lines of wisdom on the subject

Cheers lads.

I think much of the problem with compression stems from the fact that as musicians, we’re mostly accustomed to pedals in our signal chain having a clear and present effect - we turn the dials and expect things to sound louder/ warmer/ funkier/ more distorted, etc, etc. As you know, compressors don’t necessarily work like that - and when they do, you’re probably doing it wrong 😉

In truth, I only really got my head around compressors when I started producing/mixing music, where it’s certainly one of the most useful tools at my disposal. Before then, as a bass player, I didn’t use a compressor, didn't understand them nor see any real use for one: "Why would I want to squash my sound?"

So apologies if I sometimes come over as a bit evangelical about compressors. But they really are a bass players best friend when you get to know them.

• Like 3

But in those 3 points you are cherry picking what you want to hear and skewing the argument if you take it in isolation.

How about “you just won’t sound ‘better’ *wink*”

and

”...bass is an instrument that really benefits from compression”

”...compression is an enigmatic....tool amongst bass players”

People will always fit an argument for what they want, or if not understood find a reason to call it futile.

• Thanks 1

On 10/12/2018 at 08:03, skidder652003 said:

well yeah maybe, actually I think it may have been my old Pearl phaser that is causing the trouble, its not a happy bunny with 9v daisy chain, still the fact remains that the effect of the compressor pedal (everything set to about 12 o'clock) was so subtle as to be not needed, and there was a definate improvement in clarity to my cloth ears.

Setting a pedal at noon isn’t necessarily the best setting for every pedal. It again comes back to knowing what the functions of each pedal does or how the controls interact. I’m sure the manual which you’ll be likely to find online will have some settings to get you started should you revisit it. Again if it’s not for you then disregard this post 😀

Its one of those things that needs setting up properly, however I can kinda understand it could be difficult in practice to do this at home practice volumes, sometimes the tweaks would need to be done - and you need to be able to find time to do this at a rehearsal - at more/less full volume. 

16 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

But in those 3 points you are cherry picking what you want to hear and skewing the argument if you take it in isolation.

How about “you just won’t sound ‘better’ *wink*”

and

”...bass is an instrument that really benefits from compression”

”...compression is an enigmatic....tool amongst bass players”

People will always fit an argument for what they want, or if not understood find a reason to call it futile.

Took the words right out of my mouth!

• Thanks 1

Compression is a funny thing, i never really understood fully or worked out what it did, tried a few compressors and patches on my Zoom. But then i got a seymore duncan studio bass compressor and its set at around 10 o clock, attack and blend about same, volume/level to suit, and it works great, just rounds off and emphasizes the individual notes a little better.

Funny thing is i was playing the other day and some thing was not quite right, though i was i little out of tune or there was some drop in sound thought maybe a connector jack was loose, then i realized the compressor was not on, turned it on every thing fine. Think its one of those things once you get it set up right for what you want you do not notice it until its not on.

• Like 1

Can you benefit from becoming familiar with and using a compressor ? It all depends  

I’ve found the biggest problem with compressors is that their operation is often misunderstood and they’re frequently misused because of that. 

A good resource for all things compressor along with reviews of dozens of specific models can be found here. A more current discussion of compressor pedals (with reviews) can be found here.

Knowledge is power. 

Edited by e40
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, e40 said:

Can you benefit from becoming familiar with and using a compressor ? It all depends  

I’ve found the biggest problem with compressors is that their operation is often misunderstood and they’re frequently misused because of that. 

A good resource for all things compressor along with reviews of dozens of specific models can be found here. A more current discussion of compressor pedals (with reviews) can be found here.

Knowledge is power. 

This is a great resource, cheers!

For me this is still the best compressor saying ever!

On 17/07/2018 at 22:15, BrunoBass said:

I decide I need a compressor so I buy one, use it and then decide I don’t need it so I get rid of it. Then a year or so later I decide I need a compressor so I buy use it and then decide I don’t need it so I get rid of it. Then a year or so later I decide I need a compressor so I buy one use it and then decide I don’t need it so I get rid of it. Then a year or so late I decide I need a compressor so I buy... (repeat ad infinitum) 

😂

(Although Skol303's pithy summary above was also pretty darned good too :))

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

Indeed it is actually proving the need for compression.

Sounds like it is being used correctly, but used correctly it should just sit nicely in the mix, so you think you don’t need it, bin it, then realise what it did so it’s bought back again, as infinitum etc.

This is one of the best compressor advocate phrases of you analyse it properly