Why become a member? ×

Binned the compressor

skidder652003

Had a gig last week and the volume kept coming and going, weird. Anyway found out the culprit was a Boss LMB3 so took it out of the chain, instantly more clear and defined sound, easier to control the dynamics with my fingers (Duh), its going in the bin, never really understood what it did TBH, less obstruction in the signal chain the better sez I, that is all!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HazBeen said:

I think the issue was mainly the compressor, not so much compression. Still if you are happy, so am I :)

could be, but I had a Markbass Compressore before I spilt a pint on it, that didn't really seem to do much either (especially after the spill!), Im not sure if they're all a bit Emperors New Clothes, especially down the Dog n Duck, not in the studio for sure..

3 minutes ago, skidder652003 said:

could be, but I had a Markbass Compressore before I spilt a pint on it, that didn't really seem to do much either (especially after the spill!), Im not sure if they're all a bit Emperors New Clothes, especially down the Dog n Duck, not in the studio for sure..

Then you made the right choice for you, result!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, skidder652003 said:

Recommend you don't dive into this thread. It will only reinforce your thinking :)

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

The way I look at it, everything in your signal chain is (ultimately) a compressor/limiter. If you're near maxed out on amp, speaker, whatever then you could easily slip inadvertently into compression, and markedly change the sound. At least with a compressor/limiter in the signal chain, you have control. Of course, it needs to be set up properly.

Having said that...........I'm in the fortunate situation of now owning a slightly overspecified amp, so I have lots of headroom, and also I use dynamics lots so I don't actually use a compressor if the setlist doesn't have a tune which calls for slap bass. I have the occasional slap/snap but in that case I WANT the 5x or whatever increase in volume for them notes.

(I have a Boss CS3, does the job).

The LMB is a limiter, not quite a compressor. It’s sole purpose is to make sure your signal doesn’t go above the volume you want, you only really need it if you’re clipping from getting huge jumps in volume when you’re digging in. It’s a utility, not really a tone shaper.

A compressor evens out all your dynamics, while a limiter just stops them being too loud.

Don’t bin it, sell it.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

A limiter to all intensive purposes is a compressor with the ratio hovering at about 20:1.

This is why the argument that I don’t need a compressor, but a limiter is required is bolderdash.

Nearly. A limiter is typically a compressor with a high ratio AND the ability to set the floor above which it kicks in.

You'll note that the LMB-3 and Keeley Bassist both have a (floor) threshold control which allows them to act as limiters as well as compressors.

Many compressors do not have the ability to set the floor/threshold and wouldn't generally be recognised as being "limiters".

Edited by Al Krow

As you know @Al KrowI am fully aware of compressors vs limiters vs limiter compressors, but you have encapsulated and confirmed the point that a limiter is a compressor, so.........if you say there is no need for a compressor but for a limiter, that is contradictory.

Thats without getting into modulation, distortion, tubes etc compressing sound blah blah blah ad nauseum.

All that aside, it’s whatever works for each musician and using anything in general should not be used as poor craft or musicianship as is sometimes brandished around, it’s just choice

4 hours ago, project_c said:

The LMB is a limiter, not quite a compressor. It’s sole purpose is to make sure your signal doesn’t go above the volume you want, you only really need it if you’re clipping from getting huge jumps in volume when you’re digging in. It’s a utility, not really a tone shaper.

A compressor evens out all your dynamics, while a limiter just stops them being too loud.

Don’t bin it, sell it.

yeah well, Im not Actually going to Bin it per se, but Ive got a rehersal with another band tomorrow where I'll be using a much smaller combo, I'll take it along and try with and without, let you know what I think.

12 minutes ago, skidder652003 said:

I'll take it along and try with and without, let you know what I think.

Yes! That is exactly the right approach IMO. If no one (including yourself) notices it then what's the point of the thing?

Look forward to hearing what you find.

@Cuzzie my post wasn't directed at you per se, buddy, more a general observation. I know that you are a world expert on this subject my friend.

I have just bought the Darkglass HyperLuminal and whilst I cannot for certain say it makes a massive difference in my playing, the difference in has made in tone to my Roscoe Century is huge. Not tried it with my other guitars, but with the Roscoe it is a keeper (for now!)

• Like 1

It’s the old double edged sword that compression can be used as a tool or as an effect and can often be misunderstood in these contexts. 

As many of you already know compression can be set to tame peaks, to help ‘manage’ your sound or it can be used to create a particular sound. Using a compressor is not an indication of a player having poor technique nor will it ‘fix’ poor technique - bum notes and poor timing won’t be fixed by a comp and sensitive musicianship can be ‘lost’ by over use of compression. A good player not only knows how to play their instrument but how to use any effects they employ. Having command of your gear (effects etc) is necessary if one wishes to get the most out of them. Common sense!

Some compressors can add a little bit of ‘colour’ which one may or may not like or they can remove some frequencies which again some do or don’t like. 

Some folk like what compression does,  some don’t. If you can get something out of a compressor then it’s right for you, if you don’t need it or hear it being useful then that’s the right call for you.

Edited by krispn
Syntax
  • Like 2

well,  played a rehersal today with a much quieter band (which was lovely!), Kings of Leon, Alt J, Catfish, that sort of stuff, compressor was off through a Ashdown 515, with a DHA valve preamp, sounded great, compressor not missed in the slightest, thats it, coming off the pedal board, room to put the bassballs back on, result!

• Like 1