Why become a member? ×

SOLD - Thomastik Spirocore E “Stark”
£40

Rabbie

Is your E string wimpy?

These help a lot. Thomastik Spirocore need no introduction, but the “Stark” (heavy) tension version of the Spiros are rare to see. It helped my bass enormously to balance a weak sounding E string in my brief foray into steels (whilst the setup was already optimal). Now I am back to using my good old guts, a regular Spiro E is more balanced and I no longer need these heavy ones. I still have 1 x E strings brand new, £50 posted. 

9067ED00-6C11-41F4-9401-B5209A8BD7C4.jpeg

Edited by Rabbie
Sold the used one and 1 of the new ones. 1 new string left.

Rabbie

Temped by this. I have an old German wooden bass strung with Evah slap strings. I really like them all but the E (wimpy!).They are pretty low tension strings and flat wound so not sure if the Spirocore tension would be too high or too different a feel. Any idea?

Hi mate,

ok here’s my impression: although technically the Stark E has more tension than the medium counterpart, when I swapped them, I didn’t feel much difference. Here’s my take on it: we tend to play the E string harder and less frequently, which is why it is common to find it “wimpy”. So, when I put the Stark E on, I just felt more volume, growl and responsiveness and no real tension difference. Great presence to hammer out a low F, F# or G and let it growl like a bear: awesome powerful feeling! Folk stand to attention (well, almost),

However lately, my work is in quiet duos and trios, so I’ve been looking at going back to a softer sound on the E, still with the Spiro long life, so I put back on an ancient medium E I had lying around. The other strings remain Spiro medium A, Oliv D and Dlugolecki G at the moment.

The one I used is sold, I have 2 brand new ones left.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Rabbie

• 5 weeks later...