Why become a member? ×

Big Muff advice needed

rogerstodge

On 07/12/2018 at 11:13, Jus Lukin said:

The tone control is a kind of band-pass or tilting eq, so without a blend, keeping it low is the only way to get a 'bass sound' out if it.

Also, more so than any other effect, Muffs sound immensely loud due to the way they clip. If you have an amp or channel with a clip light or level meter you can observe the phenomenon. Set the Muff to sound right and see how much lower the level really is. To get the same average level as a clean sound the Muff needs to be really ripping! It may sound ten times louder in isolation, but will give a similar presence once in the mix. So the best suggestion is to set the pedal in the mix rather than in isolation, or to put it far more enjoyably, when it comes to Muffs, if you can't hear them, crank 'em up til you can!

Good tips.

My GR Muff volume set at 9 o'clock is already past unity gain but in the mix is just right volume wise with the tone around 10/10.30.

I've found with muffs, the trick is to keep the tone low. Turning it up high gives you more top end at the expense of low end, and you just disappear in the mix. Keeping it low, you can still be heard because you end up dominating the lows and low mids. In the mix though, it just sounds like a massive sustaining bass boost rather then a raspy fuzz. If you want the fuzz effect to be heard more, then a mid boost is in order. I'd recommend the new deluxe Russian model that has both a blend and a mid control.