Why become a member? ×

Headphones

gpw5150

I use Bose AE2W for music and bass playing (using the optional cable for the latter) they sound near enough exactly like my bass does to the desk and they handle the range of the instrument really well. Can be had fairly cheap too. 

I think there's not enough thought given to open or closed back designs, I use closed back Sennheiser HD 280's which I find really comfortable, I've got a pair of cheaper open backed Sennheiser HD 206's for watching the TV that I find annoying after 30 minutes or so because they squash my ears 

55 minutes ago, gpw5150 said:

Probably £70, tbh, i would not spend any more than that and i am the sole bread winner.....!

The PJB’s are £70, the AKG’s are £50 ish

Cool, @PaulWarning beat me to it with these...

7 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

I think there's not enough thought given to open or closed back designs, I use closed back Sennheiser HD 280's which I find really comfortable, I've got a pair of cheaper open backed Sennheiser HD 206's for watching the TV that I find annoying after 30 minutes or so because they squash my ears 

Sennheiser recommendations. At sub £100 I don’t think you can beat Sennheiser.

Well, I went to a store that has several headphones to test. My budget was 100 € / 90 GBP. I tried probably 12 - 15 pairs with music I know (Oleta Adams - Circle of one). Sennheisers were better and better after 160 € pricepoint, to my surprise Sony did not have anything reasonable (they usually have at least something). AKG is common for some reason but the sound has not offered me anything. These fashionable rap headphones (Dres et al.) were mostly just plain sad. Then tried Beyerdynamics. DT 770 PRO made my day for two reasons: they had a discount that met my budget and the sound was reasonably good.

I took the 80 ohm model. It had better sound, if less volume (may save few hair cells) than the 32 ohm version. The highest ohms (250) did not offer more sound quality.

If you need to buy headphones, try them first. One thing is how comfortable they are (will you use them?), the other is the sound quality (will you listen to them?). It is good way to test several pricepoints to understand the quality in every sense. My other set is Stax, which needs an extra power amp and is a strange animal but that is another story.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I'm reviving this thread to say that I'm deeply disappointed with my PJB headphones, the ones I recommended in my previous post. I've had them for 3 years at most, used them lightly, but they're now ready for the bin.

When I started hearing crackling and losing first one channel, then both, at first intermittently, then most of the time, I thought I had a problem with the (detachable) cable, so got a new one. Unfortunately, the cable is not at fault - it's the contacts in the socket where it plugs into the left pad that seem to have given up the ghost. I'm pretty sure it's not simply a matter of cleaning it with spray - although I will try that too.

Before I shell out for one of the models recommended above, any other, up to date suggestions? Since I mostly use headphones with my headphone amp, when I'm playing bass along Best Practice on my PC, would going wireless be a better option? It'd certainly free me from having to sit or stand close to the Bass Buddy; however, would the PC create interference? It already seems to introduce some low-level hum in the playback.

Big thanks in advance for any pointers. :)

I'd say wireless was a no-no. They're mostly only designed for music playback so low latency isn't a priority, opting to build in a buffer to help prevent any signal dropouts, which results in a delay between what you play and what you hear!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Please lady Bluejay, take a tour in a shop that has several models, and let your ears decide. Even the volume level and have a player (phone, maybe), that has some song(s) you know well. Then try to find those details and sound you like. My brand, or model suggestion is only good for me.

• Thanks 1

Guest Marcoelwray

Just finding this topic and I got for many years a Sennheiser HD 598, om really happy with those but I just found that the open ear system let you ear too much of the surrounding noises...

But it's also way better for ears, I've been told.

Anyone have an opinion on these for bass playing? Because I am slowly looking to get one of those Phil Jones Big Head....

I've been using PJB's like yours, Silvia,  and really like them for my bass. However they sound a bit crap on my digital piano so I've recently bought a pair of Beyer Dynamics DT770. Well better than the PJB's for music in general, they appear a lot more robust than the rather flimsey-feeling PJB's, and lastly they are just as good with the bass as the PJB's. Allround a much superior headphone in every respect - and only slightly dearer. I got the 80ohm version.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Horizontalste said:

I have Audio Technica M50's & they're fantastic but my brother uses Superlux ones from Thomann, they're clones of Beyerdynamic mentioned above & really are something else! I think they were about twenty quid!

Just found those, they do indeed look quite similar! One review saying they sounded better than the Beyers, but a few more that that saying they sound totally different and not as good.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/superlux_hd660.htm

3 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

Just found those, they do indeed look quite similar! One review saying they sounded better than the Beyers, but a few more that that saying they sound totally different and not as good.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/superlux_hd660.htm

I couldn't compare because I haven't heard the Beyers, the Superlux are very neutral sounding & in my opinion well with the money!