Why become a member? ×

Has anyone ever found a Barefaced Supertwin lacking?

la bam

I have a Super Compact and an older style Compact. I played a loud gig with the Super Compact and my GK MB500 amp, and it just about managed the gig with gain and master as high as they could go.

My old Compact is definitely a louder cab, with the same amp.

So I bought a secondhand GK MB800 and, hopefully, more power will allow me to get significantly more grunt out of the Super Compact.

It was either that or buy another Super Compact, which defeats the point of my buying one in the first place (ie downsizing).

I've played quite a few loud pub gigs with either an Ashdown ABM 600 or Rootmaster 800 into a Super Compact and have never needed to use more than 1/3rd volume.

Being a small cab, it can sound quieter on stage than a Super Twin, but is more than enough out front.

On 07/12/2018 at 10:29, chris_b said:

Unless you have a Mark King complex, you'll probably find that 4kHz isn't much of a limitation at all. 

The problem is that 4Khz from a 12 is both directional and can be a bit nasty. Using a properly designed crossover and Mid/HF Unit gets you there without the nastiness that a single driver can have (especially Eminence 12s) and avoiding the harshness of some tweeters. You may not need much above 4KHz but your 12 might need help form about 1.5KHz.