Why become a member? ×

Has anyone ever found a Barefaced Supertwin lacking?

la bam

27 minutes ago, LewisK1975 said:

This was my exact experience of them too.

My solution was to switch to the Barefaced 10in cabs, specifically for me the two10.  BINGO!

Yep, I did exactly the same thing.  I think for some the transparency just doesn't work.  Even though loudness wasn't an issue, something was just missing.  What I would describe as umph!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sarlscharisma said:

Yep, I did exactly the same thing.  I think for some the transparency just doesn't work.  Even though loudness wasn't an issue, something was just missing.  What I would describe as umph!

Next time I gig my Super Twin, I'll have to take an umph meter and see what is lacking :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Sarlscharisma said:

I've often found a lack of punch can be easily dealt with by boosting the mids when playing live.

I've had very positive comments about the sound from my SC in terms of its "presence", and I'd be expecting a ST to be a step up, so I'm definitely a bit surprised to be hearing about a lack of umph with the ST. 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Sarlscharisma said:

Maybe the umph was simply colouration that I missed.  I tried the best part of a year and sought Alex's support with EQing - e.g, low mid setting etc but couldn't quite get what I had in my head.  The Two10s changed all that!  Amazing cabs out of the box with no EQ faff.

Aha that now makes good sense. 

Some folk like a blank canvas others prefer an interesting background. Good job we all differ otherwise Alex would only be selling one model... 😄 

• Like 1

I think the problem with cabs like this. . . is they sound very different to what people have been using. In the "old days" rigs sounded more alike than different, so we never had a night-and-day change in our sound when we upgraded.

I had this when I moved from Epifani to Bergantino and, surprisingly, again when I moved from the Bergs to Barefaced. Tones needed to be changed, basses needed to be played slightly differently and techniques needed to be cleaned up.

I found the sound of Bergs and BF to be worth the hassle but if the sound never comes to you, it's only sensible to move on to something else.

• Like 1

On 06/12/2018 at 21:45, warwickhunt said:

I don't think they can lack in pure volume but the actual tone may not suit everyone (hides behind barricade and raises hand).  

Yeah, I found the same (having owned both a Compact and a pair of BB2)... and have ended up with a couple of Two10 that really suit me. They are not 'transparent' like the others, as I found that transparent really wasn't what I needed: the right 'colour' suits me best, and their 10" series are really cool in that respect.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not a supertwin but two older BF cab experiences.  BF Big One followed by BF Dubster (which I have used for about 8 yrs? and still do). With both of these I have been more than happy with the tone I get.  Both have needed plenty of Watts, I am currently using a QSC GX7 power amp to drive it - allegedly 1200W into 4 Ohms.  Getting what I want for tone has not been quite as 'plug and play' as the Hiwatt and Marshall into 4 x 12s of my youth but the weight reduction and volume available without speaker flapping / destruction are beyond compare.  

edited to change font to something readable in size :)

Edited by 3below

I have a Gen 2 Super Twelve  (2 x12 with tweeter), forerunner to the Gen 3 Super Twin. Bought on this forum, and used in many gigs since from clubs to theatres and festivals. Delighted with it never let me down, plenty of power and punch. Has been great with a variety of heads. I tried out the SuperTwin in the Barefaced workshop great sound and I would have bought it had the Super Twelve not appeared on here at a great price.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BassManGraham said:

I have a Gen 2 Super Twelve  (2 x12 with tweeter), forerunner to the Gen 3 Super Twin. Bought on this forum, and used in many gigs since from clubs to theatres and festivals. Delighted with it never let me down, plenty of power and punch. Has been great with a variety of heads. I tried out the SuperTwin in the Barefaced workshop great sound and I would have bought it had the Super Twelve not appeared on here at a great price.

I’ve had Super Twelves and Super Twins (I recently snapped up my current silver cloth Super Twin) and in my opinion there’s very little between them. Both superb quality, sound and great dispersion. I’m sure the Super Twin has various technical improvements over the Super Twelve but to coin a phrase, I wouldn’t climb over a used Super Twelve for a Super Twin.

• Like 1