Why become a member? ×

Has anyone ever found a Barefaced Supertwin lacking?

la bam

Im just wondering if anyone has ever used a Barefaced Supertwin and found them lacking, or feel they needed more volume or umpf on stage?

I had a super compact, but it lacked at certain points on larger stages.

Im just wondering if the Super twin is twice as good,  completely fills that missing gap, or is it just a little bit better?

Ive never heard anyone say theyre lacking, but just wondered if theyve ever run out of steam for anyone?

Seriously considering as an all in one solution.

I have both Super Twin and Super Compact cabs, and sometimes the Compact does seem to lack umph on stage - but I am assured it is fine where the audience is (talking average pub gig). I use the Super Twin for larger gigs and it has never felt to be lacking umph. I use the same amp for either cab, an Ashdown ABM 600 (or a Rootmaster 800, which is now my back-up amp).

My Super Twin is the first one off the line (serial # S001) and I can't image parting with it while I can still draw breath.

If I stopped playing pubs, though, I'd probably sell the Compact.

I use a Walkabout with my Supertwin, and it gets every db out of it: I play (sometimes) with two 412/Marshall head guitars in a loud rock band, no PA support, and it's verry loud. I've also used it with an 800w Magellan and at no point have I ever thought it wasn't going to cope.

I have no GAS for anything else, and I've had a lot of other cabs.

1 minute ago, warwickhunt said:

I don't think they can lack in pure volume but the actual tone may not suit everyone (hides behind barricade and raises hand).  

I don't think any piece of equipment is going to suit everyone, but if the OP just wants more of what he is getting from the Super Compact, then I can assure him from personal experience that the Big Twin will do just that. If he wants something that sounds different to the SC, then the ST might not be the best choice.

I have a midget and compact with a 1000w Orange terror head, never been found lacking, in fact when used outside it was (according to our drummer) clearly audible nearly half a mile away so volume isn’t an issue. I am sure the OP would be happy with his proposed purchase.

As has already been stated, I very much doubt it would ever run out of steam, but the sound may not be for everyone.

I actually much prefer the sound of the Super 12/Twin to the compact both on stage and out front. On stage I thought the compact was loud but not in a particularly nice way. Out front the comments were that it sounded great.

55 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

I don't think they can lack in pure volume but the actual tone may not suit everyone (hides behind barricade and raises hand).  

I think that`s it - I`ve had a good few of the Barefaced cabs and realised that whilst what they do they do brilliantly, I just prefer the more traditional coloured sounding cabs, rather than the transparency of the BF ones. It often seemed to me that although they could go super loud, fra more volume than I`d ever need in fact, that there was something that was just not there. I can`t describe it properly, other than to say put the same gear through an old Ampeg/Ashdown/Peavey 410 and what I want suddenly appears. 

8 hours ago, chris_b said:

I have 2 Super Compacts and they sound huge. Awhile ago I tried a Super Midget with one of my SC's and the combination was even better.

I can see that this combination should work a treat with the SM providing the top end sparkle with its tweeter (and top end f resp of 20kHz) that my SC lacks (which has a lower top end f rep of just 4kHz).

Shame that BF didn't look to make their speakers more modular so that they have some dimensions in common for ease of stacking different models (in the way you can easily combine VKs should you want to).

The ST also has the same limitation of a top end f rep of just 4 kHz, so you should bear that in mind. 

The "all in one" solution that IMO gives the ST a run for its money that I'd recommend you also checking out is the VK210 MNT (or LNT if you want to be able to put up to 1200W RMS through - this is actually the cab that Mark Vanderkley uses).

I've ended up using my SC for pub gigs (where I love the portability) and keeping my VK 210 LNT for function use.

I guess that the need for more top depends on your playing style, I have never felt the need for horns with either of my Barefaced cabs (don't think any cab I've owned has had a horn, come to think of it). But the Super Twin does sound very much like the Super Compact, just that much more of it. I think my ST is the only bit of kit I have never considered changing!

The Barefaced Cabs are very modular and easily go together size wise and stacking should it be required and as long as you are matching the right lot together.

It may also be that rather than stack 2 small, getting one big will be better and still leave you with a one hand carry.

Pick right for your needs, you get it right 

Thanks all. So, not one bad word to say about it yet - thats what i thought might happen.

Its food for thought thats for sure.

I love my current main cab (6x10) and its ridiculously light for what it is at 34kg, and its tilit back wheels are great, but i also have a 2x12 for smaller gigs, and well, looking at it here in the living room, size wise, its a lot more transportable, but its flippin heavy for what it is, 31kg! and awkward to carry as it just has x2 of those lift up side handles. Whereas the barefaced would be nearly half the weight and in theory more bottom end, volume and definition. I play a p bass with flats, so i dont need that top end definition.

I know what Lozz means about that difference in sound with barefaced - the reason i got the 610 is because it gives a reassurance of that kind of steel fisted bass (to quote from Mackie) that it lets you know its there regardless of venue, and thats the only place the Super Compact was lacking on larger stages, i was really having to dig in at times.

I did really like the Super Compact, so id be happy with the sound, but ive recently changed my sound from when i last had the super compact. I used to play a kind of vintage fender bassman tone, now its more ampeg svt via a tech 21 vt rack, so would the super compact replicate that well?

At the end of the day, ive finally realised its just for stage monitoring as my vt rack goes to the desk and i have a separate amp receiving that feed that i can adjust on stage for eq levels, so with more and more gigs coming in itd be handy to go back to that easy, light, load in.

9 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Supertwin is a joy to carry and has wheels on the cab - go on, you know you want to!

As a package for power, sound, size, weight and portability, BF Super Twins (or Super 12s) are pretty hard to beat imho.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I think that`s it - I`ve had a good few of the Barefaced cabs and realised that whilst what they do they do brilliantly, I just prefer the more traditional coloured sounding cabs, rather than the transparency of the BF ones. It often seemed to me that although they could go super loud, fra more volume than I`d ever need in fact, that there was something that was just not there. I can`t describe it properly, other than to say put the same gear through an old Ampeg/Ashdown/Peavey 410 and what I want suddenly appears. 

This was my exact experience of them too.

My solution was to switch to the Barefaced 10in cabs, specifically for me the two10.  BINGO!

• Like 1