Why become a member? ×

Zyex strings

Staggering on

I think it's time I put new strings on my Engehardt ES 9 bass and Mark Gollihur recommends Zyex for Kays  and Engelhardts. I play pizz on gigs but  use the bow at home sometimes when I am practicing and apparently these strings are not too bad with a bow.The bass came with ten year old Corelli 370 F strings and they are getting pretty dead.

Any input about Zyex strings would be appreciated.

Thanks

56 minutes ago, philparker said:

Yes, I have tried them out on someone else's bass (Mr Bassman) and I was quite impressed - they were much brighter than my Evah's but they did Arco and pizz very well.

Thanks, that's exactly what I was hoping to hear. I will order a set today and hope they get here before Christmas, our Canadian postal system still has a backlog due to a recent strike by their employees.

3 hours ago, TheRev said:

Geoff Chalmers has a review of Zyex strings on his website:

https://discoverdoublebass.com/lesson/double-bass-strings-review-daddario-zyex

Thanks for the link, I saw that and it was very positive and is one of the reasons I decided to try them.

Once I have them on my bass I'll get back on here and do a bit of a review of them, although with my limited experience on DB and EUB it won't be very technical. I guess it will be more of a comparison with the Corelli's that are on the bass now.

Edited by Staggering on

• 4 weeks later...

The strings have been on for about a week and have settled in and I am delighted with how they sound and feel. I have played one or two hours each day and have done mostly pizz and some work with the bow and love the brightness and clarity. The tone and volume from string to string are both very even and consistent  as I move up the fingerboard, not too far in my case.

I opted for the Zyex light gauge and found they are quite a bit thicker than the Corelli 370 F strings and a slightly higher tension but I love the feel of them, very easy to play and easy on the fingers.I have played unplugged and also through my amp and the volume and sustain are very good both ways.

I will be using them on the next gig in a couple of weeks and hope they will sound as good through the PA. I know they will cut through the rest of the band better than the old strings and the bass will be more audible so I better get to work on a few of the tricky parts before we play in public, the "dull thud" that I could hide behind is gone and there are real notes now!😊

I ordered these from Gollihur and had a chat with Mark about what I was looking for and took his advice, excellent service from people who really know about the products they sell... and they are bass players!

Thanks for the comments from BC members in the posts above.👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheRev said:

I'd be interested in your Corellis if you are thinking of moving them on..

Sorry, but I'm passing them on to someone over here(Canada) and quite frankly they are in very bad shape and are not really very playable. They were played a little when new about 10 years ago when the previous owner of my bass bought them and then the bass just sat in a basement storage area until I got it last summer and the storage time was not good for the strings, probably due to dampness.The G also had some issues with rough spots on the winding. At this point in their life I don't think they would be a fair example of what the Corellis are really like.