Why become a member? ×

FX help

ianrendall

Hi loves

I’m not normally one for any FX of any kind, but I’ve been thinking that for certain songs and situations it may be of some benefit, but I only have limited needs. 

All I really want is a pitch shifter capable of shifting in semitones, a wah, and a synth of some sort. An expression pedal would be a bonus. I’d rather stay away from multiple single pedals as I like as much simplicity as possible in my rig, and I don’t want amp or speaker simulation as I know I would be endlessly fiddling and it would be a distraction. Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/12/2018 at 08:25, Quatschmacher said:

Check out the new Enzo from Meris. It should cover that. 

How does that make sense for what the OP is after in terms of cost / benefit? 

Has any BCer actually bought an Enzo?

It's around £300 and doesn't even have a volume control. So on this one, I have to disagree! 

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

How does that make sense for what the OP is after in terms of cost / benefit? 

Has any BCer actually bought an Enzo?

It's around £300 and doesn't even have a volume control. So on this one, I have to disagree! 

No one said anything about price. The features requested were pitch shift, wah and synth. I’m just mentioning an option that’s out there. 

12 hours ago, ianrendall said:

Yes I’m definitely looking at the whammy. Also the Zoom MS60b and the Boss GT stuff. 

I've got a MS-60B (my third in fact!): great little pedal, one of the best in terms of value for money / versatility out there.

But, although it's now definitely off board following the arrival of the latest kids on the block, as it was my first ever pedal back in 2013 I'm struggling to part with it just yet :)

Edited by Al Krow

Ok, so. The Line6 M5. Currently my number one choice. Just a few Q’s to anyone that has one. 

Can it do a good ‘Birdland’ synth effect?

I understand that the pitch shift works best with an expression pedal (which I will probably get just to use the wah). But can it also work as an ‘on/off’ effect, without expression pedal, allowing me to play a song in a different key but playing the written notes? I assume it can shift in degrees of semitones? This is an important function for me. I play in pantos a lot and a number of songs are for example ‘down 3 semitones’ or ‘up 4 semitones’ to cater to the amateur singers capabilities. I don’t need to use it as a whammy. 

3 hours ago, ianrendall said:

Ok, so. The Line6 M5. Currently my number one choice. Just a few Q’s to anyone that has one. 

Can it do a good ‘Birdland’ synth effect?

I understand that the pitch shift works best with an expression pedal (which I will probably get just to use the wah). But can it also work as an ‘on/off’ effect, without expression pedal, allowing me to play a song in a different key but playing the written notes? I assume it can shift in degrees of semitones? This is an important function for me. I play in pantos a lot and a number of songs are for example ‘down 3 semitones’ or ‘up 4 semitones’ to cater to the amateur singers capabilities. I don’t need to use it as a whammy. 

Definitely check out the Enzo. I tried it the other day. It should do what you need. For example for your pitch shift needs, you could either turn the knob to shift pitch or use the expression morph function to just have a specific interval dialled in between the toe-up and toe-down positions.