Why become a member? ×

Amp Videos online

AndyTravis

If you were watching amp demonstrations online, what would you want to see?

I’m in the market for smaller powerful combos, and there’s not huge amounts out there other than spec sheets.

Just thinking about online demos generally...they seem to be slap fest look at me videos on the main.

There is a guy who I think was referred to as the bass whisperer and he does great demos in America, but self filmed demos and YouTube content is so hit and miss.

I would want the same bass line over and over again with fingers, pick and a bit of thumb while the settings were clearly shown...

”the mid control has this sweep...” etc.

Any examples of videos you’ve seen and liked?

just about to boil my head looking at gear reviews and wanted a break 

Have you not met me??? he he he he!

Seriously though, I would love to hear what people think on this subject as I have recorded well over 250 HD gear review videos and I do want to make sure that (within the constraints of what I can do) that my reviews are what people want to see.

My reviews always follow my mantra, "No Ego, No Shred, Just Bass" . The majority covers finger style and pick work as well as that slap stuff (lol) and I demonstrate all controls in detail. Let me get a brief Youtube playlist together for your perusal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh wait, I think there's more here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PloExluC-c&list=PLoUs2PSioBnOr1gYQ7RvlhafSZ-Zb3zNi

There's also this list (PRE BassChat update) that I had been maintaining that covers the very first issues that were lost in a Server crash. The reviews may still be out on Google though if you search "Guitar Interactive" and then the name of the item.

Edited by Dood
  • Thanks 1

Something logical and brief. It doesn’t take a long time to establish what a bass tone is, and there are clear benchmarks, P, J maybe Stingray and ‘coffee table’ bass sound. DI and cab sound separately would be useful, and concise demo of the eq. Pick and fingers is obviously important.  I thought the recent WD800 vid by mesa was decent, and proves it can be done in less than 5 minutes. Seeing as the vast majority of viewers are going to be listening on ear buds grandiose extracts aren’t going to provide information like what it genuinely feels like in the room anyway. And most importantly, if it must feature slap leave it to the end to save me skipping through to find out when it’s over!

• Like 1

Yep something that's more about the amp than the technical ability of the bass player. 

As you said with fingerstyle, pick, slap with some chord work thrown in. 

Each control should be demonstrated fully. Takes a bit of digging to find the good ones tho.

Sometimes just a repetative bass line being played thru the demo is the way to go.

Dave

• Like 1

I think the only way you can demo an amp is in the types of venues you play up against guitars, keys and drums.

What will your sound be coming through the PA as oposed to what you hear from your speaker on stage or your monitor. All things I consider.

Demos are done in an ideal environment, a little different from playing live with a band with a lot of variables.

My sound can be great one night and crap the next with no setting changed.

I haven't been following new amps much. Are there bass connos that can really address high volume?

Blue

Edited by Bluewine

Dood's videos are great. Very informative, well thought through and no sales push. They really are top notch.

The other things i would want to see on others reviews are:

1. Same bassline played over in fingerstyle and pick, but with a computer added video overlap showing the dial settings.

2. Give a variety, not only of tones, but basslines - some fast, some medium, some slow - instead of just fast tech stuff. How about Dock of o bay, or My Girl - something where we get the sustain and richness of the notes shining through, that cant be hidden in a fast fest.

3. MUST at some point in the demo be played alongside drums or at very least a drum machine, to see how certain settings cut though, again with the video overlap showing the settings.

4. probably a 3 minute song at the end to show it in a full band mix.

• Thanks 1

Also use a standard bass to demo an amp. Something that most of us can relate to and will know the tone. And tell us what the bass settings are too.

If a Jazz bass where are the pick up controls set and where is the tone set. Likewise a P bass or probably just need to know the tone setting on a P bass.

Dave

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

Think there's a shop does good revues. 2 guys usually one playing while the other adjusts the amp settings. Might be Andertons ?

Indeed. Andertons it is. Nathan King, brother of Mark - plays Guitar in Level 42 but also bass duties in the awesome band Frost*. The other guy, I forget his name is also pretty good on the ole bass too.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dood said:

Indeed. Andertons it is. Nathan King, brother of Mark - plays Guitar in Level 42 but also bass duties in the awesome band Frost*. The other guy, I forget his name is also pretty good on the ole bass too.

The other guy is Lee. Nathan is a sh*t hot player whether on bass or guitar. But Dood`s videos are cool as well!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bluewine said:

Guys isn't the best demo the one that can simulate how, when and where your going to using the amp?

Blue

That would be in an ideal world but its never practical. Not many shops will lend you amps to try at gigs unless you're famous. I'm not, so there's a lot of trial and error for me. :laugh1:

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

Between Ed Friedland "a guy who was referred to as the Bass Whisperer"  and Dood you should have most things covered. Both do sensible reviews that show what the amp, and not they can do. Problem with amps, as I found in Bass Direct, is that they also depend so much on cabs and rooms, so will be even harder to judge no matter how good the video.

It would maybe be useful to have a few shots of someone carrying the gear up a flight of stairs (maybe even a spiral fire escape..?), to demonstrate portability..?
How about seeing how it fits under the cupboard under the stairs, too, for storage considerations.
Some moments showing the stuff in the boot of a car (preferably a hatchback...), to see just how visible it could be to would-be thieves, and what means should be used to reduce that risk..?
Under different lighting, too; bland, 'we're going to pass the vacuum cleaner' club neon strips, followed by a couple of PAR36 cans, then lit by a long-range Super-Trooper spot, all from different angles, so as to appreciate its scenic impact.
So many things that need to be demonstrated before one could make an informed choice. 9_9

:lol: :P

• Like 1

You have to ask yourself how much of an idea of an amp sound are you going to get from a video on a laptop with tiny speakers. Totally agree with showing all the features and what-not but the actual sound? I don't think there's any substitute for trying the amp out yourself. I'd prefer in-depth description of the features and the downsides too. Also, a good comparison to other amps in the same class as most people watching would be in the market for a new amp anyway.
I'd also throw impartiality out the window too. If an amp is crap, say it's crap. It's rare you'll see a reviewer say anything really bad about an amp but sometimes things need to be said.

If I was to do a demo of an amp I would use a looper. Play a phrase and let that go round and round with the camera pointed at the controls of the amp. Fiddle with all the buttons and knobs. Then go around the amp and get up and close to the outputs and inputs etc. I don’t care for what the bass player is doing. I don’t need to see that. I need to see the amp. I’d mic it up and do a DI comparison etc but that’s a lot of work and a good enough reason not to make YouTube video demos. 

• Like 2