Why become a member? ×

EBS Stanly Clarke Wah

danny-79

Who uses one of these and what do your opinions of it. 

I own one, I brought it new a few years ago, selling my 105Q at the time. I didn’t really get on with it all that well so eventually brought another 105Q, a mini this time and I’ve been quite happy with that. Then saw a band play not long ago and the bass player was using the EBS and it sounded brilliant, I didn’t know what It was he was using until I asked and was quite shocked, had a real nice squelch sound on the go, I personally always found it a bit tame when I was using it. Mine doesn’t sound like that anyways 

User opinions please! 

Edited by danny-79

I used a 105Q for a while but found it was damaging my signal too much (quite a few other pedals in the chain, but the 105Q was by far the worst), so I started looking for alternatives. I tried a few ones that didn't quite hit the spot... and I had the Stanley Clarke one in my sight but I didn't get to try it. That's because I came across the G-Labs Wowee Wah. I love it. It's chunky, and heavy, and it sounds great. Definitely one to look for too.

I use it mostly in a RATM tribute band, with a Stingray and a John East MMSR preamp (I noticed you use that too). I often use it with various overdrives, and it's a beast of a wah. 

http://www.glab.com.pl/index.php/en/products/effects/bass-wowee-wah-bww-1

• Like 1

That looks like a beast of thing !! 

I liked my 105Q regret selling it. Knowing what I know now I have a feeling it might of been tampered with if that’s even possible cause after shelving the EBS I brought another one (mini this time though) and it’s not the same. But for the amount I use it live it does the job, it’s just convenient having it set up ready to go on my board rather than having to carry it around separate 

5 minutes ago, danny-79 said:

That looks like a beast of thing !! 

I liked my 105Q regret selling it. Knowing what I know now I have a feeling it might of been tampered with if that’s even possible cause after shelving the EBS I brought another one (mini this time though) and it’s not the same. But for the amount I use it live it does the job, it’s just convenient having it set up ready to go on my board rather than having to carry it around separate 

I have been intrigued by the 105Q mini as well, as I was putting together a mini pedalboard... I heard elsewhere that it is a bit better than the original. You find it different, in what way?

If space/weight is not an issue... The G-Labs can't be touched, in my opinion. 

6 minutes ago, mcnach said:

I have been intrigued by the 105Q mini as well, as I was putting together a mini pedalboard... I heard elsewhere that it is a bit better than the original. You find it different, in what way?

If space/weight is not an issue... The G-Labs can't be touched, in my opinion. 

In comparison to the full sized version (I brought it used off Basschat) there’s not much between them. It’s possible that with it being half sized it’s just different under your foot so gives that impression but to me it just Doesn’t seem to have the same sound. Getting the volume/Q/trim pots set on it is difficult it’s either too quite or too loud and same goes for the Quack it’s either all or nothing. I’m possibly just being over picky though. It’s the same size as a regular stomp so for ease of use live it’s great. 7/10 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

I had a Stanley years ago and I thought it was a bit tame.

That was my initial thought but after hearing one with an envelope style setting at gig volume it was quite impressive but still not sure it’s worth the hassle of carrying it about. 

1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

I've got the Burton wah now - which is RUBBISH at anything other than Cliff fuzz tones, and a Weeping Demon which is fantastic on bass. It's a bit unit though so I'd like to try the Dunlop just to get some board space back.

That was my theory. For the amount of use it gets one the same size as a Boss pedal is perfect. 105Q has a nice sound all of its own. I missed the full sized version I sold so went mini this time. Just starting to think it’s time to dig the EBS out and give it another go