Why become a member? ×

Refinish job on a unbranded P bass

Jimothey

My plan was to make my unbranded P bass look more like this.......... 

_20181129_012533.thumb.JPG.587c46b7b794616d6a5b8fce6a4e984a.JPG

But when I started to sand this body to refinish it White ready to fit my new maple block and binded neck, to my surprise the body has actually got some really nice grain to it!!

_20181205_144618.thumb.JPG.6669598b6dc1977260124afc5a8a3081.JPG

So I might now just Danish oil it with a black pickguard instead??.......... 

The body is really light so I thought it might have been Basswood or Paulownia?? But looking at that grain I'm not so sure??.......... 

Edited by Jimothey
  • Like 3

What lies beneath our painted basses?

Give it a few thick coats of thinned (white spirit)  Linseed oil over a few days. Let it dry for a good week, then do the same with thinned boiled Linseed oil before topping with Danish oil, tat will make the wood really come out

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Pea Turgh said:

Nice!  That’s basically what I was going to go with on my much-stalled Jag build!

I think that would look great! 

I keep toying with the idea of doing a Jag build but I will probably cheat and buy a Jazz body and modify it 

Edited by Jimothey

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Christine said:

It has a good vintage look to it, crying out for some ashtrays 🤐

Yeah they could work I've got one that I could try but it's massive so I might try and get hold of a smaller one?? 🤔

I just hope that the neck will mellow a bit because it looks like I've drowned it in Tango!! 😁 

2 hours ago, Christine said:

Tango? What have you put on it? You could take it down to the tanning shop and put it on a sunbed for an hour to help age it, more seriously a UV lamp at a couple of feet distance could work wonders on colour

It's that orange that I thought they must have used Tango to stain it, I was thinking of leaving it near the window so the sun gets on it and it might lighten up a bit but then I realised I lived in Wales so not much sun so the UV lamp idea sounds like a good idea 😀

• Haha 2

In Denbigh? The land of cloud and rain, more chance of the colour being washed out :laugh1:

I''d worry about direct sunlight, there's some heat in it and it can do some nasty things to wood. Poly finishes are quite UV resistant. The lamps do work, there was a French guy on Talkbass who used a UV lamp for reptile keeping on a white body to age it, it worked very well too. I like yours as it is, if it were me I'd leave it and enjoy it

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Christine said:

...Which if anyone remembers my embarrassing introduction thread here

... which, in turn, brings to mind one of the very many anecdotes recounted by John Aubrey, collected in 'Brief Lives'...

"Edward de Vere"
This Earle of Oxford, making of his low obeisance to Queen Elizabeth, happened to let a Fart, at which he was so abashed and ashamed that he went to Travell, 7 yeares. On his returne the Queen welcomed him home, and sayd, My Lord, I had forgott the Fart.

:laugh1:

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...

I decided to go with my original plan as stated at the start of this thread 

So I sprayed the body satin white yesterday......... 😀 

_20190330_104918.thumb.JPG.eb7039f2c854ff2bc80957222d1bbfef.JPG

_20190330_104947.thumb.JPG.8395d984885f9c97c95cc402d0c2be35.JPG

I like the fact you can still see the grain, I'll be getting it back together tomorrow when I get home from work so I'll post finished pics.......... 

P.S. Please mind the logo I put it on as a joke I'm NOT trying to pass it off as a real fender.