Why become a member? ×

Dave Markee's unique fretless Stingray

philw

Anybody else notice that uber session player Dave Markee is selling his rather unusual (and rather lovely)  pre-EB fretlessStingray?

https://ebay.us/qqIxmi

His session CV reads: Rolling Stones, Frank Zappa, Joan Armatrading, The Who, Henry Mancini, and Bing Crosby, and he was in Eric Clapton’s band from September 1979 to 1982.

If only I had £1500 to spend on a random bass.

P

29 minutes ago, oldslapper said:

I've been watching this & the 79 fretted Ray (which is no longer for sale). 

Dave's been unwell and is parting company with a few instruments, but keeping some favourites. 

I'd love that fretless Ray....anyone wanna buy a kidney? 

Not sure either of my kidney's is worth £1500. It was the bass on Joan Armatrading's "Willow" that first got me interested in fretless. I guess there's a good chance it was this very instrument.

• Like 2

I respect his musicianship and playing and even more that he is willing to sell this instrument at a sensible 'players' price, especially as if a collector or dealer buys it rather than a musician, it will be up for sale for 2-3 times the price in no time because of the providence

I hope someone who can use it buys it and makes more music with it

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

Dan Markee here, Dave’s grandson. I’ve been googling for some information on his remaining bases. Sadly for collectors they’re staying in the family but will be used as he wasn’t the only musician... it’s in the blood! We have his Henry Mancini ‘Pink Panther’ Upright Bass, his original Musicman I believe from the late 70’s, a ‘62 Jazz that was used on most Clapton recordings and a ‘63 P bass that he used on pretty much everything else.

Grandad, Dave, passed away on Thursday 29th October at home with his daughters after a long journey with ill health.

Its been lovely seeing you all speak so highly of his playing, thank you! He was an incredible man who loved deeply and I have never seen someone play with such passion!

love and respect

Dan Markee

Edited by Dan Markee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 4

Hi Dan, I spoke with Dave a few times and he seemed a very friendly and warm chap. I ended up with a flight case of his with a unique inscription on it. I’m sorry to hear of your loss, but he left a wonderful legacy.

If you ever have the chance to photograph the instruments, I’m sure people here would enjoy seeing them. I actually played the 62 jazz when it was in Bath, and it was lovely. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/11/2020 at 13:10, Burns-bass said:

Hi Dan, I spoke with Dave a few times and he seemed a very friendly and warm chap. I ended up with a flight case of his with a unique inscription on it. I’m sorry to hear of your loss, but he left a wonderful legacy.

If you ever have the chance to photograph the instruments, I’m sure people here would enjoy seeing them. I actually played the 62 jazz when it was in Bath, and it was lovely. 

I’ll definitely get some photos and post them when I can!! Thank you!