Why become a member? ×

Finding a permanent band. Advice?

musicbassman

Hello BCers,

So, I live on the South Coast, I’m 66, and I’m having a real problem sourcing a bass vacancy in a quality well established covers/functions band anywhere in Sussex, Hampshire or Surrey.

I’ve been looking for over a year now, and have only chosen to do one audition – this was the only gig on offer I’d come across which had the decent level of playing ability and professionalism I would expect.  I didn’t get the gig - I don’t think there were any problems musically, but the rest of the band (and the two other auditionees I saw) were about 25 years younger than me, and maybe who really wants their Dad on stage with them?

I’m not expecting to find a Vulfpeck or a Natalie Williams Soul Family, but surely I should have been able to find more than one suitable vacancy worth auditioning for in the last 15 months.

Am I looking in the wrong places? I use Bandmix, JMB, Find a Musician, Gumtree and Starnow. Maybe I should use the dreaded Facebook ? – I’ve avoided signing up to this for reasons many will understand – but is this worth selling my soul for now?

I’ve been lucky to have found two long term dep gigs over the last 12 months, the second of these finishes after this NYE, so I’m hoping I’m not about to enter a gig desert and still be looking for something in 12 months’ time.

Any reasonably polite suggestions welcome, apart from “Why don’t you just pack it in, Grandad?”    :sad:

• Like 1

Not sure I can offer anything specific apart from the usual 'put yourself about' although most of that tends to be blues-based jams.

Whereabouts are you more exactly? I may know of a few such jams that would get you out among other players. Not always the type of band you are after but you never know.

There are a billion better bassists in London than me. No way would I get through auditions and get hired.

To get around that small hurdle I've formed my own bands. Am just about to start my third in the new year: gigs in the diary, 2 hour set list sorted and talented 5 piece line-up on board. We just need to start rehearsing :) 

My advice FWIW: why look to jump on someone else's coat tails? Be bold, believe in yourself and make it happen. Age is just a number.

• Like 12

I have actually managed to join a couple of decent bands through JMB, although its probably easier in London.  Its a bit frustrating when all the ads specify age 20-25, or when the band have ambitions even though they have no songs/talent. Patience is the key, although given your age.......xD

• Haha 1

Musical circles can sometimes look like closed shops by those who are on the outside.  They can be cliquey and are often difficult to penetrate.

In my experience the better bands rarely advertise. They work by word of mouth. So keep doing what you're doing , but start going to jam nights, sit in, chat and network. Make sure you are recognised and remembered (for good reasons!). Go to gigs and say hi, circulate and meet people. Get business cards printed and  chuck them around like confetti.

• Like 2

You're too fussy. I do understand but go out and play in some crap bands. Or sub-optimal anyway. What's the worst that can happen?

But some of these iffy bands turn out to have a decent drummer who knows someone whose looking for a bass player and so on. Put yourself out there. 

Join Facebook.  I'm not massively younger than you but I find it a PITA dealing with musicians who can't work social media. It's where bands live these days - it just is. 

Edited by thepurpleblob
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Al Krow said:

There are a billion better bassists in London than me. No way would I get through auditions and get hired.

To get around that small hurdle I've formed my own bands. Am just about to start my third in the new year: gigs in the diary, 2 hour set list sorted and talented 5 piece line-up on board. We just need to start rehearsing :) 

My advice FWIW: why look to jump on someone else's coat tails? Be bold, believe in yourself and make it happen. Age is just a number.

Same here, first rehearsal at 8pm tonight, all mates/ mates of mates/ relatives of mates which helps but it was the only option as other band is on slowdown due to new baby for one member and there were no decent opportunities locally that fitted what I wanted.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, musicbassman said:

Hi Steve - I'm at Chichester.  Yes, jams can be good fun (unless they are just excuses for guitarwanks) and can be a great way of meeting other musos, but (as you suggest) I might be unlikely to find guys already playing in covers/functions bands to be in attendance.

In my neck of the woods jams are ok, but not as a resource for finding work with an established working band that's making money.

Blue

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, thepurpleblob said:

Join Facebook.  I'm not massively younger than you but I find it a PITA dealing with musicians who can't work social media. It's where bands live these days - it just is. 

It's not being 'unable to work' social media, purpleblob, I'm not a complete luddite! 

It's the information harvesting that I ( and apparently many others) have a natural aversion to.

But if people on here really think this might be where I'm missing out, then it could be a price I'm prepared to pay.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, musicbassman said:

It's not being 'unable to work' social media, purpleblob, I'm not a complete luddite! 

It's the information harvesting that I ( and apparently many others) have a natural aversion to.

But if people on here really think this might be where I'm missing out, then it could be a price I'm prepared to pay.

Only the information you put on it can be harvested.

So don’t put anything personal on it at all. And don’t let other apps link to it.

job done.

• Thanks 1

The whole information harvesting thing used to worry me in its early days. Now it is so pervasive that I notice it less than traffic or bad language. I still don't like it, but if someone is absolutely determined to know what brand of toilet paper I buy and how often I just can't be arsed to lose sleep about it.

I'm four years younger than you, live in London, and use whatever channels are available ... my own network of musos, dedicated JMB-type sites, Facebook, whatever. I go with whatever is out there and hope that some of it goes somewhere. Usually I'm disappointed, but even the disappointments lead to more experience, new material learned, and a wider network of musos.

Starting your own band is hard work but, at your age, chances are you already have decent kit, decent transport, and a bob or two in the bank. It's easier at 66 than 16, IMHO.

If you go that route, though, give some thought to what sort of bands are actually in demand round your way. Starting yet another Dad-rock outfit, especially if your area is already stuffed with well-known Dad-rock outfits, may be a road to nowhere.

6 hours ago, chris_b said:

Go to gigs and say hi, circulate and meet people. Get business cards printed and  chuck them around like confetti.

That's a good idea, go out and see the established bands that are out there working 2 nights every week. 

I stalked my band for a while then I introduced myself and found out they were looking for a bass player. I've been working pretty much solid for the last 8 years.

Sorry guys, I'm not sure the going to jams or trying to start your own band will be met with much success.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine

Hey Mbm. Just my experience. My first band was a charity band put together to do 1 gig. Even though I hadn`t played in a band before, I quickly sussed out that the band was crap basically.

But I got on really well with the drummer, we are mates and have found myself in various projects with him over the years. So maybe you should try and broaden your horizons a bit and play with people that you might not have considered before? What have you got to lose?

1 hour ago, thepurpleblob said:

But some of these iffy bands turn out to have a decent drummer who knows someone whose looking for a bass player and so on. Put yourself out there. 

I'm 65, I don't have time for iffy bands.For most of us deep into our 60s don't have time for iffy anything.

Blue

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

If you go that route, though, give some thought to what sort of bands are actually in demand round your way. Starting yet another Dad-rock outfit, especially if your area is already stuffed with well-known Dad-rock outfits, may be a road to nowhere. 

I assure you, Happy Jack, a Dad-rock outfit is the very last thing on my mind.

I'm more familiar with doing high end function work.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, musicbassman said:

I didn't imply that you are - but a lot of people into music can be. 

Just be careful what you type into the damn thing. If you don't tell it then it doesn't know. Avoid all these personality test games and that sort of stuff. 

• Like 1