Why become a member? ×

'Ow bist

steperrin

Stephen here from the Black Country. Exiled out to Brummagem for the last few years but the passport's good to get back in when the need takes. Being from the same part of the world as Ian Hill, heavy metal is pretty much in the DNA.

I tried guitar when I was around 20, failed and spent the next decade uhmming and ahhing over whether I'd find four strings easier...

... So I bought a ukulele.

A few years of playing with my local ukulele group I finally got inspired to give bass a try and have never looked back. I've been playing for three years, accompany the uke group at our twice-monthly pub meets, plus the occasional gig, and have had a couple of failed attempts to get a band going. Gigging in a real band remains my main motivation for learning a proper instrument.

Hi there!

avatar.png.2188dfca4bb5c7016fed84772344e43b.png

• Like 3

Welcome! 

The only other bass player in my excellent local om has gone from Fender P to viola-bass to U-bass for reasons of weight - back and shoulder problems - the U-bass sounds better than the viola imho! 

But there's nothing as good as a full size long scale bass imho... hope it goes well! 

• Like 1

On 06/12/2018 at 00:48, josie said:

Welcome! 

The only other bass player in my excellent local om has gone from Fender P to viola-bass to U-bass for reasons of weight - back and shoulder problems - the U-bass sounds better than the viola imho! 

But there's nothing as good as a full size long scale bass imho... hope it goes well! 

I never got on with ukulele basses. I've tried a friend's a couple of times, I play almost exclusively with a plectrum and the thick, rubbery strings don't respond well.

I currently own the Epiphone Thunderbird I got started on, a Fender Jazz and a Squier Jaguar short scale.