Why become a member? ×

New Fender flea MM Jazz announced!

krispn

Could’ve been so much better. 

And being USA - alienates younger players, I mean they did the dimension and Jaguar basses in Squier, MIM and US.

in all honesty, a £600-£700 Version would’ve been bought by me as a long time fan, but at £1200+ they can jog on

• Like 5

3 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

And being USA - alienates younger players, I mean they did the dimension and Jaguar basses in Squier, MIM and US.

in all honesty, a £600-£700 Version would’ve been bought by me as a long time fan, but at £1200+ they can jog on

Nah, Andy, you've rediscovered taste and only seem to buy Yammys these days 😀

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Why are you being such a child over this? Did you want a 'kiddy' version of the Modulus Flea when that came out too? That's one of the best basses of all time for a reason. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, The59Sound said:

Why are you being such a child over this? Did you want a 'kiddy' version of the Modulus Flea when that came out too? That's one of the best basses of all time for a reason. 

Poor analogy, as Fender have a wide range of products at every price point and could easily do this whereas Modulus could not.

Edited by Machines

41 minutes ago, The59Sound said:

Why are you being rude? What an odd reply. Literally an opinion, a point of view - my 2p.

The concept of a cheaper (‘kiddy’) Flea bass in itself was acknowledged by Flea when he brought out the “fleabass” range of instruments and further addressed by the introduction of a lower price point Fleabass (street bass).

I was just pointing out that Fender may have missed a trick by only having the one price point which would be out of reach for younger/less affluent fans when they’ve done broader attempts to previously...

Mike Dirnt has/had a Fender and a Squier model simultaneously

BB King had a Gibson and Epiphone version of Lucille

(there are plenty more examples)

It just broadens their buying audience somewhat and more buyers means more money.

Makes more business sense. 

And having left the guitar/bass retail industry after 12 years in 2015 - I might have an idea of what people buy into.

As a point, the cheap fleabass instruments weren’t that great - but we sold 100’s of them because people bought into the Flea name/image.

But what would I know, I’m only a child.

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Why are you being rude? What an odd reply. Literally an opinion, a point of view - my 2p.

The concept of a cheaper (‘kiddy’) Flea bass in itself was acknowledged by Flea when he brought out the “fleabass” range of instruments and further addressed by the introduction of a lower price point Fleabass (street bass).

I was just pointing out that Fender may have missed a trick by only having the one price point which would be out of reach for younger/less affluent fans when they’ve done broader attempts to previously...

Mike Dirnt has/had a Fender and a Squier model simultaneously

BB King had a Gibson and Epiphone version of Lucille

(there are plenty more examples)

It just broadens their buying audience somewhat and more buyers means more money.

Makes more business sense. 

And having left the guitar/bass retail industry after 12 years in 2015 - I might have an idea of what people buy into.

As a point, the cheap fleabass instruments weren’t that great - but we sold 100’s of them because people bought into the Flea name/image.

I absolutely agree.

I don't think there's anything particularly special about this new bass that precludes Fender from popping out a more affordable version, bar perhaps the Aguilar preamp. Fender's own pickup, hi mass bridge, fender branded tuners, this kind of kit appears on other Fender basses at a 3rd of the price.

As you've said, I expect the real market for this kind of bass will be with fans of Flea and the Chillis. Your average bass player with £1500 to spend on an instrument is far less likely to buy a signature bass, plus you could buy a REAL Stingray for the same money, arguably the bass that Flea will forever be associated with, rather than this sideways "tribute".

Just my 2p too...
Eude

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndyTravis said:

Mozart was only 8 when he wrote his first symphony.

I was 48 when I first picked up the bass guitar.

No idea at all where this particular post of mine is going...😂

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

"I could play 'Stairway To Heaven' when I was 12. Jimmy Page didn't actually write it until he was 22. I think that says quite a lot."

😄

Given you were able to stand "on the shoulders of giants", what did you do in the next decade from age 12? It's going to be amazing isn't it? Did you also learn Smoke on the Water?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Chiliwailer said:

I don’t get this bass. 

Flea uses a CS version, not regular US, and as rightly mentioned it alienates so many fans by its price point. So why go US made?  

At least the Modulus WAS what he used at the time. 

Are there any significant differences between this and his personal CS basses?
Do the CS ones have one of those Lane Poor pickups like Flea had in his Modulus basses?

Edited by eude
Spelling

Just now, eude said:

Are there any significant differences between this and his personal CS basses?
Do the CS ones have one of those Lanepoor pickups like Flea had in his Modulus basses?

I think the CS has the LP legacy pickup. 

But also the wood quality, and importantly for me, the feel of the neck would most likely be different. Plus the CS is probably a 1/4 sawn neck. 

I know I’m being difficult about spec, but I just don’t get the logic from Fender there. Surely Mex and CS would have been an option? :) 

6 minutes ago, Chiliwailer said:

I think the CS has the LP legacy pickup. 

But also the wood quality, and importantly for me, the feel of the neck would most likely be different. Plus the CS is probably a 1/4 sawn neck. 

I know I’m being difficult about spec, but I just don’t get the logic from Fender there. Surely Mex and CS would have been an option? :) 

Thanks for the info, and yes I agree, given the spec of that bass, it could easily have been MIM.
My personal experience of Fenders has been that it really makes no difference where they're made, there seems to be a random indeterminable QC factor that effects all Fenders, in fact the nicest P Bass I ever played was actually a Squier which used to belong to @sk8, several years back.

Eude

Edited by eude
  • Like 1

Just now, eude said:

Thanks for the info, and yes I agree, given the spec of that bass, it could easily have been MIM.
My personal experience of Fenders has been that it really makes no difference where they're made, there seems to be a random indeterminable factor that effects all Fenders, in fact the nicest P Bass I ever played was actually a Squier which used to belong to @sk8, several years back.

Eude

Can’t argue with that! 

If you’re interested in the CS bass, there’s a YouTube vid of a rig rundown with his tech and he shows them off. Might have been premier guitar that made it. 

11 minutes ago, Chiliwailer said:

Can’t argue with that! 

If you’re interested in the CS bass, there’s a YouTube vid of a rig rundown with his tech and he shows them off. Might have been premier guitar that made it. 

Cool, will go check it out.

EDIT: for anyone else that's interested, it's here >>