Why become a member? ×

Bug*er that went quick

andytoad

Haha. I guess one man's cheap £3,000 bass is another's "bloody hell why would you pay that much when a decent bass player could get just as good a sound from this, for £350?!"

...and it has 5 strings too 😁

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I've probably missed out on a few bargains over the years by being annoyed by listings that end in "£...99" or even worse (as here) £...999.

Just call it £3K for chrissakes.  :dash1:.   This is why the missus compares me to Victor Meldrew of course......

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 04/12/2018 at 21:24, andytoad said:

Ok, so who is the lucky buyer??!

i thought it was cheap and procrastinated over it because it was a 4 string....

7EECE59C-7207-4029-9098-3734613874E5.thumb.png.06caf3655cf60c0013715cde3c4cb380.png

Not me unfortunately.  Got a notification, opened it up but by the time I’d looked at the photos- ‘sorry, you missed out on this item’ 😟

On 04/12/2018 at 22:07, Al Krow said:

Haha. I guess one man's cheap £3,000 bass is another's "bloody hell why would you pay that much when a decent bass player could get just as good a sound from this, for £350?!"

...and it has 5 strings too 😁

Apart from anything else, the Wal is an appreciating investment. Mine is my pension plan :lol:

Edited by Rich
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Simply a question of supply and demand.

A Wal has no intrinsic value, it will not generate any more income than a much cheaper bass in the hands of a decent bass player; in fact insurance costs make it a potential liability. So its value, like gold or bitcoin, is determined by the "notional" value that buyers and sellers put on it.

The supply of Wals continues to increase (he's not stopped making them has he?)

The demand for Wals - well that is the big unknown. If the number of younger bass players picking up bass for the first time is no longer replacing the number who are reaching retirement and / or thinning out their herd then there will eventually be a long term decline in demand.

Besides there comes a point when folk start to think that's a ridiculous price for a second hand piece of wood with some strings and onboard electronics. 

Edited by Al Krow

36 minutes ago, Rich said:

I see no reason why they won't keep appreciating. (See vintage Fenders, Gibbos, MMs, etc etc etc) 😄

Well, they probably will, but as with bitcoins, if you bought one for £200 in the 90s, and it has now gone up 10 x that price, that is the part of the curve that is done. What you need to find is the thing that has yet to go up 10x.

Having said that, I did do bit coins and it paid for the ashdown amplifier!

36 minutes ago, Rich said:

Good point. Right, has anyone got a polishing cloth for my crystal ball? ;)

That is the problem. If you wanted to have an investment, and you did have a crystal ball, if you had sold one in 1997 for £300, and invested the money into apple shares, you would probably now be able to buy all the walls in existence!

40 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

That is the problem. If you wanted to have an investment, and you did have a crystal ball, if you had sold one in 1997 for £300, and invested the money into apple shares, you would probably now be able to buy all the walls in existence!

^^ exactly this. 

I guess I'm just an old fashioned stick in the mud who just buys his bass gear to play and enjoy! (And if it retains value eg because I found something in vgc used, that's a nice bonus). 

• Like 1

If somebody is in the fortunate position to spend a big chunk of money on a bass, fair play to them if they spend it on one that they can play and enjoy and will (at least) retain its value.

We’re not talking about other investments, we’re talking about a bass. Yes Wals are still being made, but in the same way that a pre-cbs Fender is more desirable than a 2012 model, a Wal manufactured during the earlier period of company’s existence (signed by Ian or Pete) would I suggest be more desirable to many than one made last week.

5 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

you would probably now be able to buy all the walls in existence!

And all the Wals too :lol:

3 hours ago, Deedee said:

,a Wal manufactured during the earlier period of company’s existence (signed by Ian or Pete) would I suggest be more desirable to many than one made last week.

My Pro 2E has a scrawl in the neck pocket that may or may not be a signature :lol: together with the words 'Strawberry Red' (the body colour).

Whether it's an appreciating asset or not is academic for me TBH, it's got such massive sentimental value for me that I'll probably never sell it anyway.

Edited by Rich
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rich said:

And all the Wals too :lol:

My Pro 2E has a scrawl in the neck pocket that may or may not be a signature :lol: together with the words 'Strawberry Red' (the body colour).

Whether it's an appreciating asset or not is academic for me TBH, it's got such massive sentimental value for me that I'll probably never sell it anyway.

I appreciate the sound of the Wals*, but have never been a fan of the look, so not for me, even if I could afford one (and lets face it, afford is an abstract term anyway).

Where in this context I mean the sound from RHCP, Rush (who I guess were also not fans of the look) and Tool.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

have never been a fan of the look, so not for me, even if I could afford one (and lets face it, afford is an abstract term anyway).

Yup they really are pretty fugly aren't they? There I've gone and said it! Tin hat at the ready. 😎

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Yup they really are pretty fugly aren't they? There I've gone and said it! Tin hat at the ready. 😎

Well, I like the woods they use, and the layout of the body, although it is a bit big, and I love the look of the pickups (and the idea of them). But then at some point you just have to look at the headstock, and OMFG.

If you set out to create the ugliest headstock you could think of and you came up with that, you would feel pretty accomplished! :D On the other hand if you were ever stuck down a river in a boat without a paddle the Wal owner would be pretty smug!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 05/12/2018 at 21:32, Shaggy said:

I've probably missed out on a few bargains over the years by being annoyed by listings that end in "£...99" or even worse (as here) £...999.

Just call it £3K for chrissakes.  :dash1:.   This is why the missus compares me to Victor Meldrew of course......

I don't believe it!

(My ex used to call me Victor sometimes...)