Why become a member? ×

F hole bend - big deal?

AndyBass

Appreciate that’s probably the most incomprehensible thread title. So what I’m asking is, I’ve recently noticed the edge of the f hole in the G side of my Duke is getting misshapen, I think because the bridge has been moving about and has put too much pressure on an unsupported area. I’ve attached a couple of photos. Anyway I just wondered if other people have encountered the same thing, is there a home fix o bend it back out, is it a luthier job, is it indicative of a bigger problem or probably just cosmetic? It doesn’t have any effect on the sound to my ear, so it’s more a structural concern. Thanks for any thoughts!

37B379B6-AC8A-4B7F-B7D3-FB43FC3FA7E0.jpeg

E0F4677A-C5FF-4CBD-9D99-6D0F512ACCA9.jpeg

004526D7-FF95-4DED-829D-4928960441A0.jpeg

Don’t be alarmed BUT - I’ve always understood this to be a sign of too much pressure and/or a weak top plate. It’s not something that is going to collapse overnight but it will continue over the next number of years. Maybe take it to a repair shop and have them evaluate it - might not be anything to be concerned about at all.