Why become a member? ×

NBD - the sixers are taking over!

FinnDave

Took delivery this afternoon of my third Ibanez six string bass in the last 3 months or so. One is up for sale, so I hope to stick to just the two!

Newbie is an SR 1206, premium range, and is seen here between my SR506 (standard range) and SR1006 (prestige range, and now for sale).

Played the 1206 for a couple of hours this afternoon and it felt very much like the 506 which I played this morning. I was planning to change the rounds it came with for a set of LaBella flats, but after playing it, I'm not so sure now. I'll try it though one of my 'proper' amps tomorrow instead of the little combo I normally use at home. 

Once the 1006 has sold, I'll be putting East pre amps in both of the others.

Obligatory pics below, sorry about the quality, it was getting dark by the time I thought of putting the bass down and taking the pics!

IMG_1481.jpg

IMG_1479.jpg

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Paulhauser said:

I own an SR3006 and an SR5006 and they are the most comfortable 6 strings I've ever had. 

Just curious: what is making you selling the 1006? I had a 1005 and was a great bass even if a bit heavy. 

Exactly that - the 1006 is a great bass (especially with the East pre amp in it) but since my bike accident (3 years ago today) I am far less able to tolerate weight while standing, and the band I'm in do long sets. The 1206 is nearly 2 lbs lighter than the 1006. The 1006 is definitely the better bass of the two, but my injuries are done healing, so this is as good as I'm going to get now.

Edited by FinnDave

That 1006 looks absolutely lovely; I find neck through design just the best on any bass, so I have to fess to being sorely tempted to take it off your hands (as we discussed yesterday!) and "trade up" to my first Ibby Prestige...

But for the same weight reason (plus loving the Nord big singles in the SR Premiums) I'm going to hold on to my SR 1206 too. I'm kinda interested that you don't sense much of a difference between the 506 and the 1206 though? That Nord growl on the 1206 does it for me :) 

Had we both known of a possible trade, I suspect you might have been able to persuade me otherwise! 

Gratuitous Ibby pics of my herd...

Ibanez SRs! (Oct 2018).jpg

• Like 2

The only reason I haven't yet found a real difference between the 506 and the 1206 is that the 1206 came with a set of well-worn rounds, and the 506 has a set of LaBella flats. Or had, I changed them this morning for the original Elixir round wounds simply to be able to make a comparison of the two basses. Which I will be doing once I get my gigging rig out and ready this afternoon. I'll post about the results of that later.

Yeah, I am sure we could have come to a mutually beneficial arrangement had we known!

Just had an enjoyable hour playing a few songs on the 506 and then the 1206, both through my small rig (Rootmaster 800 & Super Compact). I didn't change any settings on the amp. Played along to some of the Grateful Dead CD in the player at the moment (live stuff from 1974) and the 1206 sounded better - definition was better, output seemed up, it just sounded better than the 506. Then again, the 1206 cost twice as much as the 506 and is from the next level in the range. It is difficult to say how much contribution the strings made to the differences - OEM Elixirs on the 506, what I think are d'Addario 170s on the 1206, but they are well worn. The main difference between the two is the pickups, and the 1206's Nords definitely had an edge that the Barts lacked.

Interesting test, and confirms my plans to use the 1206 as my main gigging bass, with the 506 as a back up. Both have a very similar feel, very close in weight, both balance well on the strap, and they have similar control layouts - just what I need in a back-up bass - nothing worse than needing it at a gig and realising you've forgotten what everything does!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jezzaboy said:

The live Dead from 72 to 74, my favourite era! Whats the name of your band Dave? Any clips? Lovely looking bass but I can get away with 3 strings and sometimes 2 B|

My favourite era as well! Band's called the Grateful Dudes, there's a fairly polished video of our (headline) set at the Summer of Love party in Kent last August here: 

• Like 2

My beautiful Ibby 1406... 

May well become my main gigging bass ... just so light and beautiful and versatile ... need to get used to the taper between nut width and bridge width, I'm trying to use every note on the fretboard 🙂 

• Like 1

That's a real beauty - I had looked at the advert several times, just wasn't sure about the 35" scale, but the reality is that on a six string, I am very rarely down below the fifth fret, so it wouldn't have made much difference really. 

Lovely instrument, hope you have a lot of fun with it.

On 05/12/2018 at 07:30, FinnDave said:

Exactly that - the 1006 is a great bass (especially with the East pre amp in it) but since my bike accident (3 years ago today) I am far less able to tolerate weight while standing, and the band I'm in do long sets. The 1206 is nearly 2 lbs lighter than the 1006. The 1006 is definitely the better bass of the two, but my injuries are done healing, so this is as good as I'm going to get now.

Actually my SR5006 is a bit heavier than my 3006. I don't have the exact data in my mind now but the 3006 is around 3.6-7ish kgs while the 5006 is around 4.3-4.4 IIRC.

Must be the titanium rods and maybe the wengé top and back in the 5006 as most of the other specs are pretty same (neck dimensions, mahogany body etc.)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/12/2018 at 17:27, FinnDave said:

Took delivery this afternoon of my third Ibanez six string bass in the last 3 months or so. One is up for sale, so I hope to stick to just the two!

Newbie is an SR 1206, premium range, and is seen here between my SR506 (standard range) and SR1006 (prestige range, and now for sale).

Played the 1206 for a couple of hours this afternoon and it felt very much like the 506 which I played this morning. I was planning to change the rounds it came with for a set of LaBella flats, but after playing it, I'm not so sure now. I'll try it though one of my 'proper' amps tomorrow instead of the little combo I normally use at home. 

Once the 1006 has sold, I'll be putting East pre amps in both of the others.

Obligatory pics below, sorry about the quality, it was getting dark by the time I thought of putting the bass down and taking the pics!

IMG_1481.jpg

IMG_1479.jpg

Lovely!

I'm a recent convert to Ibanez but I am rather taken with my fanned fret 6 string after it re-ignited my passion for playing. So much so I have another two new Soundgears on their way to me at the end of the week. Can't wait!! 

• Like 2