Why become a member? ×

Withdrawn please close 1996 Warwick Fortress One fretless MiG
£600

DoubleOhStephan

Now just £500+shipping!!! 

1996 MiG Warwick Fortress One Fretless, 3 piece flamed maple body, wenge neck & ebony fingerboard and is finished in delicious Honey :)

Generic spec and info HERE

I've had this bass a number of years and have attempted to play it for just a few hours in all that time. Fretless dreams now over, I can't justify owning an instrument just because looks/rarity etc. I'm dithering over ordering a custom Sandberg, having a bit of cash to go towards it will help! 

The condition is excellent, especially for a 22yo bass. There are a few minor little scratches here and there, but you have to really search to find them. It's strung with flats of unknown age and origin, so will benefit massively from a new set of strings and proper set up. Electrics all seem to work fine when I plugged her in earlier.

Collection is always preferred (RM5) but if its at the buyers risk and expense, I'll ship her out.

Sale only, no trades please. Cash needed for the Sandberg fund!

Cheers for looking, Steve 

Screenshot_20181114-100310.png

20181113_151453.jpg

20181113_151516.jpg

20180928_140937.jpg

20180928_141219.jpg

20180928_141302.jpg

Edited by StevieE
Price Drop
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, mojobass said:

These are great basses and sadly discontinued too soon! I’ve a ‘94 fretted identical to this and throughout the years it’s the only bass I’ll never let go! GLWS

Agreed! I imagine sales were poor hense being discontinued (but templates used for the RB line, but I don't think I've ever played a better balanced bass. That top horn and offset bottom strap button means the bass just sits perfectly on the strap.

Guest Marcoelwray

Just my opinion, in not a good player, even less a fretless player, but I want fretless basses because it's another style of groove… Don't really need to be Jaco..

Guest Marcoelwray
12 hours ago, StevieE said:

Why remove the finish??? She's beautiful!! 😀

Yep, I can't disagree with that. But I am a wood addict and I can't stand WWicks with varnish on them. It changes the tone too. And with this process I can get back to a "new" condition, as for a varnish I can't.

Oh, dear! I’ve bought and sold 4 fretless basses (all lined) so why am I drooling here, now. 

My skill on fretless is as good as my salivation control. 

My first ‘serious’ bass was a Fortress bought in ‘96, that’ll be it...but it had frets and I sold it so I just need to have a lie down and this bout of GAS will pass. 

GLWTS...just don’t reduce the price any further. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, skb558 said:

Oh, dear! I’ve bought and sold 4 fretless basses (all lined) so why am I drooling here, now. 

Haha its 5's with me :) I think there's something very authentic about a fretless board, also something quite liberating as you have ALL the notes to play with. Takes skills though and I don't have them unfortunately! :)

Guest Marcoelwray

For those who may think about the "OMG there's no FRETLINES!" ; I could make fretlines filled with wood for a really decent price… Padauk, maple, wengé, amaranth? Pick your poison...

8 hours ago, Brook_fan said:

Oh my, if only I had the money, would buy that in a heartbeat.  Fretless would suit the music I write down to a tea, and have always gased for a Warwick.  

Robbie

The eternal struggle 😁

5 hours ago, Marcoelwray said:

For those who may think about the "OMG there's no FRETLINES!" ; I could make fretlines filled with wood for a really decent price… Padauk, maple, wengé, amaranth? Pick your poison...

Legend! 👍

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Marcoelwray

Just by the way, now I have the possibility to refret with small bronze frets, like the olds Wicks, not the jumbo ones....

Guest Marcoelwray
52 minutes ago, StevieE said:

Hmmm... That's almost tempting me to keep her tbh 😁

IMHO, Don't sell it at this price. you'll regret it. Unless you absolutely in need of money, It worths a refret and some love.

2 hours ago, Marcoelwray said:

Unless you absolutely in need of money, It worths a refret and some love.

Yeah I hear you. Truth is I'm playing my Sandbergs almost exclusively these days so it would be money spent on something I just wouldn't use. Also, the money will come in handy as will the extra space! 😁

Guest Marcoelwray
1 hour ago, StevieE said:

Yeah I hear you. Truth is I'm playing my Sandbergs almost exclusively these days so it would be money spent on something I just wouldn't use. Also, the money will come in handy as will the extra space! 😁

Understood. I'm not pushing but honestly I can do this for 175£ shipping included. With bronze frets and dot inlays. Just sayin' 😝