Why become a member? ×

Norah Jones (style) upright

Burns-bass

Hi all... I’m appealing to the collective knowledge. 

I play upright at home and while my wife (and kids) don’t like walking bass to Standards too much, they love it when I play a bit of Norah Jones, Gregory Porter, John Martyn etc. 

Just wondering what examples of tasteful upright playing there are out there that I could add to my practice regime that won’t upset the wife and kids. 

Thoroughly recommend you check out the Joe Sample and Randy Crawford album "No Regrets" from 2008 - some wonderful upright bass playing all across it from Christian McBride, including interesting covers of some well known tunes. Plenty to get your teeth into...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/reviews/qwzf/ 

A bit walky?

Very DB funky...!

https://www.allmusic.com/artist/christian-mcbride-mn0000103600 

Edited by TrevorR
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, KevB said:

I think Danny Thompson (on John Martyn albums) is also on some Richard Thompson stuff so may be worth checking that out too.

Love Richard Thompson. My dad introduced me to his music years ago but never thought of playing along... stupid me!

I saw Richard Thompson in the Paris Theatre, Lower Regent Street in the early 80s, recording a show for the Radio One 'In Concert' series. He was magnificent, of course,, but really sticks in my mind was the chap kind of hiding behind the amps and filling in on guitar. No hiding that mop of hair and cheeky grin, his old mate Albert Lee was providing the sort of rhythm guitar we can only dream of!

One of my all time favourite albums is Short, Sharp, Shocked by Michelle Shocked. Some nice tasteful upright playing on it and tunes you can sing along to.

I'm sure the lyric sheet has the song keys too (got it on vinyl but play the MP3 so it's been a while!).