Why become a member? ×

Order of effects

alexmoore10

Ages ago, I remember an article in a guitar magazine suggesting that best results could be achieved by grouping my effects into the following broad order

(Bass) Guitar ->

"Dynamic Effects" - volumes/boosts, wahs, compressors

"Distortion Effects" - self-explanatory

"Modulators" - chorus, flangers, phasers, etc

-> Amp

I'm not a great example myself, as I play the majority of sets without stepping on any pedals; on the occasions I do, it's a Tube Screamer or a Big Muff. But it looks like your own setup follows the above rule-of-thumb...

Dynamic: compressor and octaver probably fit in this category - the synth is the one I'm less sure about - and the tuner doesn't change the sound so it's moot

Distortion: Muff. I just wanted to write "Muff" again, really.

Modulators: your Boss Chorus

-> Sansamp, which is basically an external preamp anyway.

So ultimately, in some hypothetical scenario where I tripped over your board and had to reconnect everything before you got back from the bar, I'd probably end up patching it the same way!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

I let my ears decide. There are no right or wrong answers. If you like the sound then it's good.

Age old answer to the age old question. Case closed 

(rule of thumb as a start point also listed above) what ever the order there is always something that’s not quite right. move one, it affects something else 

FAB86E3A-7392-4BB5-8C86-420AFAF71EBA.thumb.jpeg.4bf0a57c70bd9fe2b0486af1a0108764.jpeg

slightly out of date photos but the running order is the same

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alexmoore10 said:

Always interested on what order people think effects should go in. 

Well these are mine and their order:

Bass Guitar
Boss TU-2 Tuner
EBS MultiComp Compressor
EHX Bass Micro Synth
Boss OC-2 Octaver
EHX Bass Big Muff Nano
Boss CE-2B Chorus
Tech 21 SansAmp 
Amp

Thoughts???

4594C24A-AE62-4F20-998D-54439AB390D0.jpeg

That looks pretty good too me 

• Like 1

My idea is a bit different but that was mostly covered in fretmeister's answer...

Bass (no g-word)
Octaver (for the tracking)

(X-over starts)

Muff (for that sound)
Synth (for some space sounds)
Chorus (and some extra wobble)

(X-over ends)

Compressor (let the comp level everything)
Amp

• Like 2

4 hours ago, itu said:

Compressor (let the comp level everything)
Amp

I used to run the compressor last in the chain for that reason but only found it useful that way for controlling wayward envelopes/filters 

But that’s another age old question. Compressor first or last 

• Like 2

Depends. Delay ahead of a filter really emphasises the filter on each repeat, rather than the repeat of the single filter sweep, but both are useful. Phaser ahead of a drive sounds far more extreme than after but the latter is more common.. Fuzz into a PS6 as a Harmoniser or Scrutator after it as an Octave up, but PS6 as Octave down in front of or in parallel with the Rat or the Fuzz or the Scrutator. Plus I like a clean blend with my Rat.  I use a loop switcher.

• Like 1

The "There's no rules, just listen to the universe maaaan" answer is never as useful as people seem to think it is, especially for beginners. You only need 6 pedals before you're looking at 700+ potential combinations. On my most recent 22 strong board that spikes slightly to 1120000000000000000000. I know I have better things to do with my Sundays.

As a rule, Octavers track much, much better with a clean, strong signal, always first or just after the compressor.

I like gain early, other people vary but I generally prefer running gain in to everything else (pre-amp, amp sim pedals being the general exception). As radiophonic said, phaser (and chorus etc.) into gain will sound more pronounced but I've never found much use for those sounds.

Filters after drive is a lot more pronounced and what I go for usually, if you want that big synth sound you need to go octave > fuzz > filter. A fuzz produces an extremely compressed signal that essentially jams an envelope filter open, if you put a filter first the fuzz obliterates the dynamics and I've always found it way too subtle.

I then run modulation, the order varies but I tend to run the more subtle effects like chorus first and tremolo usually goes last.

Time effects like delay and long reverbs go last as generally you want the delay to apply to the whole signal, though delay before other stuff can be a fun effect.

There's other things to consider, if you're running a long chain a good buffered bypass pedal near the end and in the middle is a very good idea. Compressor is largely taste/the effect you need, if you're after general tone shaping first is a good idea, if you're using it as more of a limiter for big peaks then you'll usually want to go last or directly after the problem pedal.

• Like 1

So I got the new AO today, just straight swapped it for now with the VT as taking it to band practice tonight (going early for obvious reasons 😜😜😜😜

I’m going to have to possibly move stuff about just for better access to the Di but the running order is still the same. 

Wireless. Compressor. Octave. Wah. B3K. AO. Thumpinator, underneath. Chorus. 

Been running that order for years any advances or suggestions are more than welcome 

FDC68891-A184-42AE-AAAB-AC43D8BD3D10.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonyquipment said:

Tuner at the front, compressor or noise gate, dirt/drive and modulation /random stuff at the end. 

Or or you could be tenacious and just plug it all in whatever random order and be “unique”

What a bit like this you mean ? 😜

couldnt wait, it was messing with my mojo (testing it later only to rebuild it again) so just changed the logistics. Running order is still the same 

14E86A87-04A2-46F8-8FCB-D428CCACA8C3.jpeg

• Like 1

ive always had a comp first (after tuner), Pre amp (BDDI mostly), dirt stuff, then chorus/phaser. i couldn't get my head around having an amp with a comp in it, as that puts it right at the end of the chain.

Since i recently put my TCE Spectradrive last in the chain (and taken the BDDI off), this also means the comp is last. So far i  find the comp more useful there. Although im not using filters it seems to even things out about when i engage the various effects.

• Like 2

Really useful thread this. Thanks to those who have so clearly explained their choices. 

I've had a love/hate relationship with effects all my bass playing life. They fascinate me but also hugely increase the 'stuff that can go wrong on stage' factor.

I also love a simple clean bass sound where my fingers are the deciding factor in creating my sound. I'm in bands which need them so I've been building my board once again.

However I suspect my main problem with effects has always been laziness. Can't be bothered to put the work in needed to get the results. 

The advice here has given me a good head start as I sort out my board, so thank you all again.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stewblack said:

Really useful thread this. Thanks to those who have so clearly explained their choices. 

I've had a love/hate relationship with effects all my bass playing life. They fascinate me but also hugely increase the 'stuff that can go wrong on stage' factor.

I also love a simple clean bass sound where my fingers are the deciding factor in creating my sound. I'm in bands which need them so I've been building my board once again.

However I suspect my main problem with effects has always been laziness. Can't be bothered to put the work in needed to get the results. 

The advice here has given me a good head start as I sort out my board, so thank you all again.

Pedals are just funny full stop. They have a habit of breeding at your feet. Start with a pedal tuner and add a drive pedal, maby a chorus just for a bit of flavour and before you know it there everywhere causing chaos and costing you more in there combined total than your bass and amp put together. 

I stripped my set up right back a few years ago, if it didn’t fit on a singe easy to carry PT Nano then didn’t need it for giging. So three pedals in mind. I’d soon squished five on there, six with the Wah on the floor so ...... you get drift. 

Today same rule applies (apart from I acquired a second PT Nano and bolted them together) I do randomly sell the odd one now and again cause something new has come out and usually regret it so generally hang on to them and revisit them later. 

At the end of the day it’s all good fun ! 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, danny-79 said:

What a bit like this you mean ? 😜

couldnt wait, it was messing with my mojo (testing it later only to rebuild it again) so just changed the logistics. Running order is still the same 

14E86A87-04A2-46F8-8FCB-D428CCACA8C3.jpeg

YETH. 

i sometimes randomly chain effects together and about half the time I get some really interesting results. Like what one bcer did here chaining umpteen oc2s together to achieve the brown note 😂 #willittrack?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, stewblack said:

This mirrors my experience. Over the years ive brought effects but hardly ever gigged them because i was too lazy to hook stuff up etc. This all changed when i got a small pedal board for Christmas though. Having it all pre wired meant i started taking the pedals out with me, and then of course all hell broke loose and i started buying loads of the blo**dy things. Im already on the second board as the first got filled instantly. Saying that, i have 9 new (this year) pedals in a draw, and only 3 (also new this year) on my board. I guess it takes time and a bit of money to find what really works.

The one thing that kicked all this off is i have always used a wireless system, so i always have at least one more thing to plug in. if i didnt use that i doubt id use pedals at all.

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tonyquipment said:

YETH. 

i sometimes randomly chain effects together and about half the time I get some really interesting results. Like what one bcer did here chaining umpteen oc2s together to achieve the brown note 😂 #willittrack?

Multiple OC’s lol bet that’s interesting. 

Its just come to mind I remember years ago, the guitarist from Skunk Anansie (check spelling) did some sort of world record by linking as many random effects as he could lay his hands on (over 100) on Brighton sea front. Inaudible mush, but fun nonetheless 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

This mirrors my experience. Over the years ive brought effects but hardly ever gigged them because i was too lazy to hook stuff up etc. This all changed when i got a small pedal board for Christmas though. Having it all pre wired meant i started taking the pedals out with me, and then of course all hell broke loose and i started buying loads of the blo**dy things. Im already on the second board as the first got filled instantly. Saying that, i have 9 new (this year) pedals in a draw, and only 3 (also new this year) on my board. I guess it takes time and a bit of money to find what really works.

The one thing that kicked all this off is i have always used a wireless system, so i always have at least one more thing to plug in. if i didnt use that i doubt id use pedals at all.

That’s about the top and bottom of it. I’ve got more on the shelf than in use and the ones in used don’t get that much use. Got a couple that are very important and if I could just leave it at that that would be great. Or would it ?!?!? 😜

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It also depends what you want the effect to do, I run my chorus before the distortion but always have them on together. I don’t want the chorus to be obvious, just add some ‘width’ to the sound. If I run them the way suggested above from the magazine the chorus effect is too strong for what I want to achieve.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Aliwobble said:

For me: Wireless >> chorus >>  distortion >> compressor >> boost.

My compressor is on most of the time to help me sit in the mix. It also evens out the fluctuation in volume that the chorus tends to introduce. 

I do the same, my compressor on the very end of the chain and always on. It helps to keep the volume the same when I'm adding stupid amounts of weirdness (for instance Fuzz + Qtron+ + VariPhase) and when I was testing it I always liked it better at the end instead of at the beginning of my chain.