Why become a member? ×

-

Jus Lukin

See also Black Sabbath / Heaven & Hell - if I recall correctly, Iommi and Butler occasionally hooked up with Ronnie James Dio and Vinne Appice for some gigs which focused on the albums they recorded with Sabbath. But because the "Black Sabbath" name was in use by another lineup (can't remember if they'd buried the hatchet with Ozzy by that point, or if it was another singer), they reformed under "Heaven & Hell" moniker (after the first album they'd made together). Not sure whether they drew on other material besides Heaven & Hell, Mob Rules and Dehumanizer to pad out the set.

Interestingly, Sabbath's recent round of gigs and festivals seem to have stuck to material from the first five albums, and 13, ignoring the dozen or so albums made in between. Don't know whether that was down to any personal preferences or...well, can you imagine Ozzy trying to sing Dio's lines?

I wasn't aware of this, I knew David Vincent had left MA, but didn't know he's started a rival project.

As Dropzone says, I expect some of the older material will start to be filtered into the set over time, if I'd booked a Morbid Angel ticket and they played nothing off Altars Of Madness or Covenant I'd be pretty disappointed.

Blessed are the Sick and Altars of Madness are landmark albums, significant of the new styles being born out of heavy metal. I think it's great that all the original musicians are able to play their best work from that era, opposed to weird constructions like Entombed AD for instance.

I'm sure that when the divide becomes less 'fresh'  some classic songs will make it to both their setlists. May take some time though!

Given how many of those first 3 records (Domination still sells fairly well too) they still sell (I used to work for Earache) it is a bit odd that neither band play any of those songs since that’s clearly what people want to hear.

Those albums are indeed landmarks for the genre. I believe Covenant was the first million-selling death metal record!

I've got Altars of Madness on vinyl from when it was released!

The last of theirs I bought was Domination, though.

There's nothing wrong with two outfits playing some of the same material, as long as it's competently done.

On a side note, if you've not already, check out "World Downfall" by Terrorizer- David Vincent, Pete Sandoval, Jesse Pintado & Oscar Garcia.

They actually get a bit of a groove on in places, particularly "Fear of Napalm"...

1 hour ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

I've got Altars of Madness on vinyl from when it was released!

The last of theirs I bought was Domination, though.

There's nothing wrong with two outfits playing some of the same material, as long as it's competently done.

On a side note, if you've not already, check out "World Downfall" by Terrorizer- David Vincent, Pete Sandoval, Jesse Pintado & Oscar Garcia.

They actually get a bit of a groove on in places, particularly "Fear of Napalm"...

World Downfall is a brilliant record, a landmark grind album

2 hours ago, Jus Lukin said:

Domination was the first death metal record I ever heard

When I was 13 I was listening to Halloween, some Iced Earth, Maiden and Metallica. At some point that year I subscribed to Aardschok magazine and got Slowly We Rot as bonus record. At first I couldn't work out at what speed I had to play it, it was so alien! 😄

On 03/12/2018 at 14:28, EliasMooseblaster said:

See also Black Sabbath / Heaven & Hell - if I recall correctly, Iommi and Butler occasionally hooked up with Ronnie James Dio and Vinne Appice for some gigs which focused on the albums they recorded with Sabbath. But because the "Black Sabbath" name was in use by another lineup (can't remember if they'd buried the hatchet with Ozzy by that point, or if it was another singer), they reformed under "Heaven & Hell" moniker (after the first album they'd made together). Not sure whether they drew on other material besides Heaven & Hell, Mob Rules and Dehumanizer to pad out the set.

Interestingly, Sabbath's recent round of gigs and festivals seem to have stuck to material from the first five albums, and 13, ignoring the dozen or so albums made in between. Don't know whether that was down to any personal preferences or...well, can you imagine Ozzy trying to sing Dio's lines?

it was just the Dio albums on their first H&H tour, not an Ozzy track in sight.  I saw them at Wembley and it was pretty much the same non-Ozzy set as on the Radio City CD/DVD.  They then recorded an album and included tracks from that on the later tours.

As I recall, Onslaught did something similar - with an offshoot of ex-members including Steve Grimmet playing as Sanity Days and only doing tracks from the one album that Grimmet sang on (never saw them so I can't be sure - the band I was in at the time was booked to support them but they cancelled after only selling one advance ticket...and I know the bloke who bought it!)

Also saw Venom (only Cronos from the classic line up) at Bloodstock a couple of years ago and Venom Inc (Mantas and Abaddon + 1) there this year.  Venom Inc were easily the better of the two.