Why become a member? ×

DI Boxes and Playing Through the PA

BOD2

Just wondering...
If you have a amp head with a DI out, do you still have to have a speaker cab?
The reason I ask is because I use a MarkBass LM3 head and I have a cab that I take to gigs which is essentially just used as a monitor, and it tends to cause feedback with my singer's acoustic guitar.

Ah, a never dying thread. lovely! :D

[quote name='adamlunt' timestamp='1373037456' post='2133095']
Just wondering...
The reason I ask is because I use a MarkBass LM3 head and I have a cab that I take to gigs which is essentially just used as a monitor, and it tends to cause feedback with my singer's acoustic guitar.
[/quote]

Any experience that I've ever had with DIing from a head or a combo is that the speakers will still be active when you plug the DI lead in. It doesn't defeat the speakers, it just sends the signal out the output as well as to the speakers.

Hope I answered your question :)

(of course, if you want to run an amp head without a cab, and DI it, that's fine too).

[sup][color=#222222][quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1373039104' post='2133121']

(of course, if you want to run an amp head without a cab, and DI it, that's fine too).
[/quote] [/color][/sup]
[sup][color=#222222]You'll be fine with the LM3 - From the MB website: "any Markbass amp can be used as a preamp only. We recommend that when doing so, you turn off the master volume (not essential, but it's better for the amp). The gain control and/or the Line Out level control will regulate the output from the amp" [/color][/sup]
[sup][color=#222222][font="Times New Roman"][size="3"] [/size][/font][/color][/sup]
[sup][color=#222222]Whatever you do, don't try it with a valve amp![/color][/sup]

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1373039866' post='2133136']
[sup] [/sup]
[sup]You'll be fine with the LM3 - From the MB website: "any Markbass amp can be used as a preamp only. We recommend that when doing so, you turn off the master volume (not essential, but it's better for the amp). The gain control and/or the Line Out level control will regulate the output from the amp" [/sup]

[sup]Whatever you do, don't try it with a valve amp![/sup]
[/quote]

I did it with my valve preamp Ashdown head. I assume it's fine to do it with a valve preamp.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1373041576' post='2133160']

I did it with my valve preamp Ashdown head. I assume it's fine to do it with a valve preamp.
[/quote]

Yeah, when I say valve amp, I mean proper valve amp with output transformer.

Edit, I'm not implying that your amp is improper :-) it's just when people say valve amp, they tend to mean all valve

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1373048440' post='2133273']
Yeah, when I say valve amp, I mean proper valve amp with output transformer.

Edit, I'm not implying that your amp is improper :-) it's just when people say valve amp, they tend to mean all valve
[/quote]

Yeah, I know what you mean :D

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='adamlunt' timestamp='1373037456' post='2133095']
Just wondering...
[/quote]
A solid state amp can be run without speakers, just as preamp. A tube amp requires a load, or else the output transformer and/or other parts take harm.

• 2 months later...

[quote name='bassmayhem' timestamp='1375173661' post='2157449']

A solid state amp can be run without speakers, just as preamp. A tube amp requires a load, or else the output transformer and/or other parts take harm.
[/quote]

Is this right? I never knew that. So I can run my MB800 without speakers?

Edited by MoJo

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1381247840' post='2236415']
Is this right? I never knew that. So I can run my MB800 without speakers?
[/quote]
I cannot say ALL S.S. amps can be run without a load, but most of them. Check the manual or contact their support. When I use my QSC power amp with just one cab connected to one of the power amp modules, the other one "goes empty" without problems.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

[quote name='isteen' timestamp='1403956687' post='2488044']
What If you go directly from your bass to a Sansamp preamp/DI --> mixer/PA?
Will that give a flat and dull sound from the bass?
[/quote]

I do this at band practice with a Dave Hall Amps valve DI and it sounds great. I've not tried it in a gig setting, though, as I have my amp with me and also DI from that.

• 2 months later...

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1412841859' post='2572491']
I've tried bass > Behringer BDI > passive mixer desk > active PA speakers. Didn't work. Thinking it through, where is the signal amplification in that chain?
[/quote]

Do you mean it didn't work at all or you didn't like the sound? It should work, as the BDI acts as a preamp and the PA speakers have the power amp stage.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1412931103' post='2573333']
Bit of advice needed here chaps...

If I run a line straight from the DI out of my head to the desk and the soundguy (accidentaly) fires 48 volts of phantom power down the line can this damage my amp?
[/quote]

Only if there's something fundamentally flawed in the design of your amp.

@Roland Rock. It didn't work - only the faintest of sounds came out the PA speakers. The BDI was being driven by a PSU, not batteries. I've also tried the same signal chain in a different rehearsal room with a powered desk and passive PA speakers. Same result, no matter where we set the mixer channel gain. I'm fairly sure it's operator error on my part - I don't usually play through the desk and so I'm not especially knowledgeable about PA system setups.

• 5 months later...

Hey guys, sorry to bump this thread if it's a necro but I have a situation.

I'm a guitarist turned bassist who's currently undergoing operations and major surgery right now and I'm about to gig next month. My guitarist is hounding me to buy a bass amp, but the thing is I can't lug masses and masses of gear to a gig because of my back and because of safety reasons. Plus with carrying two basses it's already dangerous enough for me as it is. Considering I'm going to be taking trains and things to these gigs and I don't have a car at all.

Will I just be able to turn up and plug into the desk using a Sansamp VT? I really don't like to bother anyone if this thread is dead, but thought I'd ask to not create a new thread and find out that I'm in the wrong place.

Depends how good your FOH speakers are. With subs and decent tops (even just tops if they are really good), you are away... presuming you have some monitoring available for you (if you care about such things!)

I've gigged for the last 3 years without a bass amp... I actually think it works better without an amp... and you become every sound mans best friend.

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1426626877' post='2720144']
Depends how good your FOH speakers are. With subs and decent tops, you are away... presuming you have some monitoring available for you (if you care about such things!)

I've gigged for the last 3 years without a bass amp... I actually think it works better without an amp... and you become every sound mans best friend.
[/quote]

I've got no idea what the monitoring is like, I do have some access to some monitors however,

Just cause of my health I don't want to risk anything major.

We play Metal, similar to the NWOBHM stuff, but I'm concerned about not getting the feel of the bass through the monitors, or is that just me being paranoid?

[quote name='Fisheth' timestamp='1426626961' post='2720147']
I've got no idea what the monitoring is like, I do have some access to some monitors however,

Just cause of my health I don't want to risk anything major.

We play Metal, similar to the NWOBHM stuff, but I'm concerned about not getting the feel of the bass through the monitors, or is that just me being paranoid?
[/quote]

If you are loud onstage, you may find it difficult - you probably won't be able to hear over the drums and guitars. It's hard to tell without knowing more about the gear you are going to be using and the onstage volume.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1426627306' post='2720154']
If you are loud onstage, you may find it difficult - you probably won't be able to hear over the drums and guitars. It's hard to tell without knowing more about the gear you are going to be using and the onstage volume.
[/quote]

No idea on venue stuff yet, but I'm going to be checking the venue this week with my dad to get a rundown.

Guitarists will use a Laney IRT 60 and a JVM 410 combined with I'm assuming 4X12's.

Drummer cheap 80 quid kit he got from somewhere.

Assuming vocal mics will be 57's.

It doesn't really matter what the other members of the band are using - If you don't have a bass amp or other monitoring on stage, you (or the other band members for that matter) won't be able to hear yourself properly, unless you stand in front of the PA system of course!

• 3 months later...