Why become a member? ×

Blowing my own trumpet.

NancyJohnson

I'm knocked out that my band (Lutz) have had our album listed on a couple of these top ten releases of 2018 things; I'm assuming this came out of the New Music Saturday podcast and a few people have just picked up on it.

At the very least, it affords me a little smile after what has been a fairly traumatic year in which I lost my father-in-law, my mother and my job.  [Edit: I also emerged from the wreckage of losing my band, the band I formed eight years ago, to a bunch of fairly unpleasant interlopers.]

2019 has got to be better, eh?

Edited by NancyJohnson
  • Like 19

...well in a somewhat bizarre turn of events, I interviewed for a position last week and the agency just called and told me I'd got the position and start on the 17th.

Amazingly, I'd initially turned the interview down, largely questioning my abilities, but the agency were told the decision was unanimous and I was head and shoulders over the other applicants.  

Feeling a bit happier. :)

Edited by NancyJohnson
  • Like 9

8 hours ago, cheddatom said:

Nice one! Where can I hear the album? I googled "lutz band" but not sure which to click on

If you have Spotify/iTunes etc. it's been up on there for about a month.  Bandcamp as well (amazingly we've already recouped the outlay of recording it).

I'll post a disclaimer here...it's not an easy listen, but as a collection it kind of works well.  It's more shouty and aggressive than we planned; it just evolved that way the further we got into it.

Just search on 'Lutz' and 'Nowherebound'.

Cheers! 

Edited by NancyJohnson

6 hours ago, cheddatom said:

nice one, I'll get it from bandcamp and check it out, always like something new and different

You bought it?  Thanks mate.  Honestly, you didn't need to do that.

PM your email address and I'll send you a couple of other things.  There's a radio edit of Light 'Em All Up (changed radio chatter, no use of the word b*stard) and a bass and drum mix of 3rd Shock Army Sniper (I did this on my own over a couple of takes and just left it with the guitarist to do whatever he wanted).

Thanks!

Edited by NancyJohnson

No need for that, I buy most of what I listen to! I've just listened on headphones. I really enjoyed it, very different to the other stuff I hear at the moment. It has a bit of a throwback to the 90s with all the distorted vocals, samples, and electronic noises mixed with the band. I recognised the samples on "Light 'em All Up" straight away - I actually used them in an instrumental band I used to be in!

There are some awesome bass tones on this album! Did you produce it yourself? 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, cheddatom said:

No need for that, I buy most of what I listen to! I've just listened on headphones. I really enjoyed it, very different to the other stuff I hear at the moment. It has a bit of a throwback to the 90s with all the distorted vocals, samples, and electronic noises mixed with the band. I recognised the samples on "Light 'em All Up" straight away - I actually used them in an instrumental band I used to be in!

There are some awesome bass tones on this album! Did you produce it yourself? 

We recorded at the guitarist's studio, which is spread over three rooms off his house in Sandhurst, Berkshire.  I used a variety of Tech21 stuff - GED2112/BDDI and the dUg DP-3X - but in the main we ran two feeds, effected and clean.  The guitarist produced.  The bass tones from the clean feed were pushed through the Ampeg SVX VST-plugin; I don't think we used much of the effected stuff at all.

As an aside, it was a very strange recording process.  We hadn't played anything as a band at that point, I was just called and asked whether I wanted to 'do some bass', so I just turned up like an eager puppy.  It was like, 'I need four bars here, sixteen bars there,' and so on.  There weren't any complete songs, but about four or five days later, I would get an email with a very rough sketch of the song I'd recorded earlier; this carried on for 8-10 weeks, I'd go in, do stuff, then go in and revisit the old stuff, do new stuff.  We had 20 songs at the end.  A couple we just reworked parts into other songs...there was one we didn't touch but ended up not using, which was called Box Of Stupid.  It had some Trump samples on it.  It just didn't fit, so we parked it pre-mastering.

We start #2 in about six hours.

• 11 months later...

Weird resurrection stuff.

It's funny how, after such a strong start, things went downhill so quickly.  Guitarist and erstwhile producer involved in a low speed motorbike accident a few months ago, shattering his collarbone and arm broken in two places.  Prior to this we'd tracked a load of bits, but everything went south while he got straight, so it was somewhat of a lumpy mid-section.

Fast forward to November 2019 and he can finally throw on a guitar, so we're back on it again.  He's busily cutting and pasting and I'm staggered with how good these results are, most of which I have little or no memory of actually tracking as much as ten months ago.  So as 2019 draws to a close, I can only say, hell, 2020 has got to be better, eh?

Edited by NancyJohnson
  • Like 2