Why become a member? ×

Help needed with utterly bizarre sound problem

Dudgeman

So rehearsing tonight in a very well equipped rehearsal room. Every time I hit a low E one of the wall mounted pa speakers made a bizzare stuttering sound...The owner and ourselves wondered if any of you guys could help explain it. So no other frequency set it off...just high E or low E... we thought it might be a weird ground loop so we turned the speaker down....still did it ..so we unplugged it..it still did it....totally disconnected it still did it... it was a very audible sound...not a rattle ...

Owner dismantled the speaker and one of the soldered connections had come loose to the speaker...but it still doesn't explain how a completely passive disconnected speaker makes sound based on the frequency of an E note..

Can anyone explain how this happens...it had us all stumped...cheers

The above comments sound about right. I’m no expert but if you imagine a port is shaped differently for each speaker cabinet be it PA, home audio - it’s there because when a sine wave is fed through it there’s likely to be a point where everything goes mental and it’s a bit like our ‘brown note’ (allegedly)

• Like 1

The use of passive radiator speakers is (or was, back then...) quite common in high-end hifi systems, and the isobaric cabs (Orange, I believe, and a few others...) use 'em, too. Normally, a speaker's cone is braked by the connection to the amp, but when unplugged (or, it would appear in this case, disconnected...), that brake is no longer, and the cone becomes free to resonate with any passing frequencies. I'd suggest that this could explain the cone movement, and the sound emanating from the unit. The speaker has become a passive radiator, resonating at a specific frequency (or its harmonic...) that happens to be audible.

Or ghosts, of course. -_-

• Like 2