Why become a member? ×

3 wires for input jack

doc40hz

I've got a bass with a mystery crackle (comes and goes all the time). I wonder if its the input jack. I've resoldered the wires as the joints look dry, which has improved things somewhat but the crackle is still there.

I ordered a replacment input jack, but it only has anchors for 2 wires. The one on the bass has three wires....

What's going on? Excuse my ignorance!

1 hour ago, doc40hz said:

I've got a bass with a mystery crackle (comes and goes all the time). I wonder if its the input jack. I've resoldered the wires as the joints look dry, which has improved things somewhat but the crackle is still there.

I ordered a replacment input jack, but it only has anchors for 2 wires. The one on the bass has three wires....

What's going on? Excuse my ignorance!

You’ll want a “stereo” jack socket (or TRS) which is the type you have on your bass. (Which suggests you have active electronics on board as the third pin helps to complete a circuit and essentially switch the circuit on). The type you have received is a mono socket (TS) which would be used on passive instruments such as a standard precision bass.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Count Bassy said:

It's an output jack.

Well that was really helpful.... to the OP it is indeed formally called output jack. But that said, Dood answered your question. You need aTip Ring Sleeve (TRS), where the ring functions as a battery on switch so when you pull out the battery disengages.

wrt the original jack. I' d try cleaning the contacts with Caig DeOxit and then IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol not India Pale Ale 😊. And pushing bending the contacts in a bit. Over time they can lose their tension and not make secure contact with the plug.

If it's the 'barrel' type jack unit used on lots of active basses then they're all a bit dodgy in my experience; even the expensive ones They have a limited lifespan before they begin to crackle or cut out. As explained below, the TRS (so-called stereo) jack arrangement with three connectors is there to facilitate the battery connection as well as the output signal. I'd get a few spares and keep them handy.

I've just fitted a replacement TRS (Tip/Ring/Sleeve) barrel jack to a Warwick; it was n easy job, as it has a solderless connection to the (active) control circuit.

If it's an open socket, then Switchcraft are my preferred brand.

Sometimes you can fix a loose socket by just pushing in the tangs a bit so they grab the jack plug tighter (but don't overdo it!).

(And yes, it is an output socket!)

On 03/12/2018 at 07:53, HazBeen said:

Well that was really helpful.... to the OP it is indeed formally called output jack. But that said, Dood answered your question. You need aTip Ring Sleeve (TRS), where the ring functions as a battery on switch so when you pull out the battery disengages.

Yes, sorry, it was a bit abrupt.