Why become a member? ×

Piezo on Warwick 3D bridge

Guest Marcoelwray

Guest Marcoelwray

Hi everyone,As some of you may be aware of, I was selling a GraphTech Ghost Piezo system. Now withdrawn. After reading some post on the web, these ABM saddles are not supposed to be compatible with Warwick bridge. Wrong.

Here's the new video for the definitive bridge

@eude

Anyway, you can buy on Warwick website saddles for these bridge but they cost around 37€ / piece. About 200€ for 6, but I didn't pay these ones. So if you have the opportunity to grab some GraphTech f a decent amount (like mine before), it worth a try.

Sound test coming as soon as I found time to make a surgery on my thumb.

Cheers.

Update nr.3466: system is temporary mounted.

Edited by Marcoelwray

Guest Marcoelwray

Maybe I'm making a log for myself but I keep thinking that some people could be interested.

I've finished to mount the system, tomorrow I'll upload the video when it will be edited...

My opinion; I don't know AT ALL about WW Piezo system they sold on their webshop, but after some holes the GraphTech system fits like a dream. Currently looking for black screws in my workshop.

A little pic before the video. :)

IMG_20181204_031119.jpg

Guest Marcoelwray
6 minutes ago, owen said:

I have some graphtec saddles if anyone is interested......

Thanks .

But I think I need (or we need?) To find out the most important now:

DOES IT WORTH IT?

sound test will be the judge here!

On 03/12/2018 at 09:13, eude said:

Don't worry @Andyjr1515, we'll keep things simple on the fretless 6 ;)

Eude

There is almost something sinister in the way you phrase this, like a Bond villain stroking his chin whilst luring poor Andy into a false sense of security before WHAM! hitting him with plans for a double neck project with full midi that must come in under 5lbs weight 😂

8 hours ago, JPJ said:

There is almost something sinister in the way you phrase this, like a Bond villain stroking his chin whilst luring poor Andy into a false sense of security before WHAM! hitting him with plans for a double neck project with full midi that must come in under 5lbs weight 😂

Mwah ha ha ha ha...

Michael-Angelo-Batio-2.jpg

• Haha 1

Interesting video.  As you say, you need a bity more control over the piezo side.  However, when you added the slight amount of piezo volume to the neck pickup only, it added an enhancement to the sound that was quite different to the non-piezo sounds and was quite pleasant.

The other thing, in my own experience with piezos on basses (although I've never used the graphtech system for a bass), is that the string type makes a HUGE difference.  I had an acoustic that came with round wounds and it had that same ultra-hi fi metallic sound generally and high frequency incidental sounds from everytime you touched the strings - a bit like yours when you demoed with the full piezo volume.  I swopped for black nylon tapewounds - and WHAT a difference.  It's probably no coincidence that the Gillett Contour basses - which sound absolutely wonderful and combine electric and piezo pickups - also use nylon tapewounds.

Guest Marcoelwray
1 minute ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Interesting video.  As you say, you need a bity more control over the piezo side.  However, when you added the slight amount of piezo volume to the neck pickup only, it added an enhancement to the sound that was quite different to the non-piezo sounds and was quite pleasant.

The other thing, in my own experience with piezos on basses (although I've never used the graphtech system for a bass), is that the string type makes a HUGE difference.  I had an acoustic that came with round wounds and it had that same ultra-hi fi metallic sound generally and high frequency incidental sounds from everytime you touched the strings - a bit like yours when you demoed with the full piezo volume.  I swopped for black nylon tapewounds - and WHAT a difference.  It's probably no coincidence that the Gillett Contour basses - which sound absolutely wonderful and combine electric and piezo pickups - also use nylon tapewounds.

Thanks Andy. I think so too for the strings. But I Don't really like Blacks all the time…. So do I need 10 strings????? 5 Blacks for piezo and 5 roundwounds for magnetic? 🤣

Maybe flatwounds could be a nice alternative?