Why become a member? ×

lightweight combo, tilted, recommendations?

skidder652003

So I used a Hartke tilted combo at last nights gig, as well as DI'd to the PA, think the Hartke was 150W? Anyway the sound was surprisingly good, and clear. Normally Im an SVT-CL & 410 guy but its overkill for the dog and duck most days ( and a real pain to lug about, the honeymoon is wearing thin). It got me to hankering after  a small, and most importantly, Lightweight combo, preferably minimum 250/300 Watt. Digital, class D is fine ( I use a DHA tube pre anyway). Tilted would be great but I could use a stand, the most important factor would be lightweight. I can't quite bring myself to buy something with an Aluminium cone (ie the Hartke), anyone use something, small, punchy, powerful & light? I'd be mixing it with a DI to to the PA and RCF wedge monitoring as well. Any suggestions most welcome :)

36 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

What's your budget cap?

used -  £300 , I want to keep my Ampeg, I'm not really looking at super high end stuff, its just for the odd gig where space is tight (probably about 20% of all our pub gigs, so approx 8 gigs a year paying out £80 a man)

Edited by skidder652003

At that budget and needing around 300W, there's only really one bass combo that's going to fit the bill and that's the Promethean 3110. Wonderfully compact, light and value for money. But the quality of the 10" speaker on that I found to be a bit limiting and I always preferred it with an extension cab which kinda defeats what you're trying to do.

I'd actually recommend what our dep guitarist has gone for and that's a powered PA speaker i.e. frfr. I think @jrixn1 was selling a couple of his RCFs (which are a top brand) for a good price and you might be able to get one of them within your budget. It'll likely blow anything else in the same price range out of the water. 

Or just get this. New for £234 and just 12kg (this is actually what our guitarist bought): https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/Alto-TS310-2000-Watt-Active-Speaker/2FOC

or its 12" big brother which is only £262 new.

And if you want to add some colour, you could pair with a preamp and a couple of pedals of your choice. Job (very well) done.

Edited by Al Krow
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, skidder652003 said:

So I used a Hartke tilted combo at last nights gig, as well as DI'd to the PA,   [...]    I use a DHA tube pre anyway   [...]    I'd be mixing it with a DI to to the PA and RCF wedge monitoring as well

Why do you need an amp at all if you already have RCF wedges?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Norris said:

Fender rumble V3 500 combo

Your back will love you, as will your ears. It's a one handed lift with oodles of heft on tap

It's not a tilt back though 

Behold, £14 Stagg amp stand and Fender Stage Rumble 800....it can indeed be tilted, just a pain to get to the controls if not already preset...but easily rectified using presets via the accompanying footswitch 😜2AD2DDAF-5726-40BF-A6E1-244663208FCF.thumb.jpeg.fd70db8f33bd79172f0e4c4ddcb20d4f.jpeg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jrixn1 said:

Why do you need an amp at all if you already have RCF wedges?

cos its a sh!!ty 310 ART Mk 1 and doesn't have the b@lls to make itself heard, unlike the guitarist who has a nice shiny 312 Mk4, I know I could get a 312 but I still fancy a small combo as well, happy to buy used BTW

8 hours ago, Dazm1966 said:

Tc bg250 on a stand? The 115 or 210 depending on your preference. Very lightweight, built in tuner and fun but admittedly gimmicky tone print thingy. 

Actually that's not a bad shout and I'd forgotten what good value these are (I guess I've blanked out my dodgy past when the 115 was my starter bass combo!).

If the OP wants compact, I'd suggest the 208 which has the same power rating as the other two but is smaller and lighter. I did find the 15" speaker a bit flaccid, and I think the smaller speakers will deliver a tighter tone.