Why become a member? ×

Do I still need my M-audio unit?

ReeV0

Hi guys, 

I want to do some recordings instead of just endlessly recording ideas on my loop pedal. I need to decide what software to go for, maybe Ableton or Fruity Loops. I plan to record line-in with my bass & guitar, and use my Beat Buddy for the drums. 

I've got this old M-audio unit but I'm wondering do I even still need this? I've got a Zoom B3... 

M-Audio 9900-65145-12 Fast Track Pro

https://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-9900-65145-12-Fast-Track-Pro/dp/B005DD8RUE

Thanks for the help! 

Not familiar with zoom 3 b but to record I use an interface, Focusrite scarlet 2i2. There is a 2nd generation out. Mist interfaces come with a free DAW . eg my focusrite scarlet interface came with free Ableton Live 9 lite now 10 lite. It only has 8 tracks but does a decent job for recordings.

You can play an effect through interface or you can use VST within your DAW. There are lots of threads on here about what DAW and interface. Have read in 

Edited by SH73

You mentioned Ableton live which is popular with DJs and live production. I use it to record predominantly with metal music recirding guitar, bass and keys with no issues.

You can download endless plug ins to suit your needs such as drum VST or guitar plug ins. Amplitube us a popular guitar and bass plug in.

Your Zoom B3 can act as an audio interface via its USB connection. The M-Audio would be more flexible, with its mic entry, and better pre-amps, so I'd not get rid of it (unless really stretched for cash...). Plug both in and compare the results/ease of use, maybe..?
For DAW, I use Reaper, as do many here, which is free to try, unlimited, and costs only $60 if (when...) one decides to keep it.
Hope this helps.

38 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Your Zoom B3 can act as an audio interface via its USB connection. The M-Audio would be more flexible, with its mic entry, and better pre-amps, so I'd not get rid of it (unless really stretched for cash...). Plug both in and compare the results/ease of use, maybe..?
For DAW, I use Reaper, as do many here, which is free to try, unlimited, and costs only $60 if (when...) one decides to keep it.
Hope this helps.

I’ve not used a B3 as an interface , but I did use a B2.1 to start up , I would never contemplate it again.

i recall pulling my hair out with latency issues at the time , a proper interface is the way to go every time 👍

Do yourself a favour and do not use that M-Audio, i had one and never could make it work. it will cut off in the middle of a recording.

The Zoom B3 can work with asio4all drivers.

As for DAW I would go for Reaper or Tracktion T7 (this one is completely free and without restrictions). Tracktion is very simple to use and very Tape machine like workflow.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jjl5590 said:

Thanks for all the replies. 

If I plug in my bass directly in the 'line in' port, will it blow my laptop sound card? 

No, but the signal levels are mismatched such that you'll have little or no signal; or if you do manage to turn it up, the noise level would be very poor. Hence, why you need an audio interface - it will convert the instrument level to a digital signal eg USB.

2 hours ago, paul_c2 said:

No, but the signal levels are mismatched such that you'll have little or no signal; or if you do manage to turn it up, the noise level would be very poor. Hence, why you need an audio interface - it will convert the instrument level to a digital signal eg USB.

Ah ok I'm with you! 

I'm struggling a bit with the initial setup, I've got my bass plugged into the Zoom B3, which is plugged into the pc via USB. However in order to hear the bass, I have to plug headphones or amp into the B3, which means I can't hear the output from the pc. 

Am I expected to continually change my headphones from the B3 to my pc back and forth? 

The audio interface will be seen by the computer as an audio input AND an audio output. What's probably happening is that when its plugged in, its selected by default as the output. It makes sense, since its undoubtedly higher quality than the laptop/computer's sound card. But you could set the audio output as the normal computer one if you wanted to (if its Windows 10,  rightclick on the volume control next to the clock, Open Sound Settings, Choose your output device.