Why become a member? ×

Revoicing an amp (is that a word??)

Dazed

Ok so I know little about how any particular  amp generates its own sound or voice. 

Can anyone enlighten me?

Following on from this, is it possible to change that voice? Yes I realise a different amp may be simpler but I’m interested in the how this works.

Finally, if you have an amp with a single tone control, is it possible to change it to 3 (or more) comtrols - bass mid treble for example. 

Hopefully this makes sense to some of you 😁

Amps do have voicing, which is a specific frequency response. It can be changed, if you're an expert. If you're not you're about two years away from acquiring the necessary skills at an engineering school. That level of expertise would make going from a single tone control to a 3 band EQ an easy task. Without that expertise, no way.

• Thanks 1

If the amp in question is a simple valve amp with a passive tone control (as most of the examples I can think of are), it can be quite a complex task.  Most passive single tone controls have relatively low insertion loss compared to a Fender/Marshall three band or James (B15 style) two band circuit, so the amp may require an additional gain stage or other mods to work correctly. 

• Thanks 1