Why become a member? ×

REM at the BBC last night

spectoremg

16 minutes ago, paddy109 said:

It was great. 

I live in hope that they will get together for a money making tour!

Sadly these days it would be making lots money out of us via ticket sites. The rest of them have kept their hands in but Bill Berry's pretty much retired and doesn't relish the prospect of touring.

Saw them in the mid 90s at the Huddersfield stadium (whatever they called it then). Brilliant summer's day and Stipey was doing his stuff as the sun was going down. Magical. Tanya Donelly was also on the bill and I was a huge Throwing Muses fan at the time. The main support was supposed to be Oasis but they decided they had got too big to be a support. Beautiful South stood in... I don't really like them but full marks for jumping in at the last moment... and they had a full brass section... always a mighty thing... huge roar went up when they played an Oasis song.

Back on topic... must start listening to REM again. I even went to Athens Georgia and had meals in Weaver D's and at the Grit. It's a very neat University town and every male student looked like Stipe... some of the women did too.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, spectoremg said:

Sadly these days it would be making lots money out of us via ticket sites. The rest of them have kept their hands in but Bill Berry's pretty much retired and doesn't relish the prospect of touring.

Yep, I would complain about the cost but still go.

I've never been able to get into REM's music. In the late 80s/early 90s my friends all loved them, but I could never hear what all the fuss was about. I'm sure if I heard everything they have ever recorded I could find a handful of their songs that I could stand listening to again, but that's it.

20 minutes ago, Raymondo said:

I saw them at NFFC's City Ground in 2005.

Idlewild, The Zutons and then REM .

Fabulous line up, each band brilliant in the pouring rain...loved every minute of it.

Well worth the £30 ticket price.

Aha! I was out running along the river and stopped on a park bench to listen for ages to that gig. Open corners on the ground gave us quite a clear sound for miles :)

• Like 1

I thought it was all good but noticed a complete change in their Bass sound on 2003 onwards. Whereas the bass was quite high in the mix and very audible previously the later ones had a far less audible, mixed in sound. Interestingly prior to that it was the same Precision bass and small miked Ampeg rig (PF plus 4 X 10) consistently, it looked like a 57 reissue Precision and Ampeg fridge with valve amp. Similarly with the guitar - changed from consistently 2 AC 30s to 1 AC 30.

Anyway there was far less separation in the instrument sounds (a bit like quite a lot of modern rock music). Interestingly modern dance music like Calvin Harris has great bass (Chic circa 79/80) rather than that thin sounding low mixed stuff. 

5 hours ago, Raymondo said:

I saw them at NFFC's City Ground in 2005.

Idlewild, The Zutons and then REM .

Fabulous line up, each band brilliant in the pouring rain...loved every minute of it.

Well worth the £30 ticket price.

I was there too 

I had completely forgotten until I started reading this thread, but I saw them somewhere in London (Hammersmith Odeon???) sometime in the late 80's. I know that "Green" was the latest album at the time. I know I enjoyed it, but I can't remember a damned thing about the gig itself now. Old age.....now, what did I come onto this site for?

Edited by Earbrass

15 hours ago, Earbrass said:

I had completely forgotten until I started reading this thread, but I saw them somewhere in London (Hammersmith Odeon???) sometime in the late 80's. I know that "Green" was the latest album at the time. I know I enjoyed it, but I can't remember a damned thing about the gig itself now. Old age.....now, what did I come onto this site for?

I was there I think.  10000 Maniacs supporting?