Why become a member? ×

Headphones with a long lead.?

bubinga5

I've just bought a set of Vox Bass Headphones with a built in amp like these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOX-Amphones-BS-Active-Bass-Guitar-Amp-Headphones-Built-in-Amp-Plug-UK-NEW/382614669034?epid=1904743389&hash=item59159c86ea:g:qrsAAOSw~4tagh87

Excellent tool means you can play at any time of the day without annoying the neighbours and you're not tied to the room where your amp is. Keep your eyes open for a pair at a more reasonable price than those currently available. I paid £60 for mine.

BTW Andrew, how's the little person? Probably not so little anymore...

I just got me one of these cables which circumvents the issue of needing extra headphone cable length. I spec’d it a bit differently - mine has 3.5mm connectors at both ends of the headphone line for instance - but it has made my bass practice so much neater, and I can use whatever headphones I please as the cable on my phones only has to be long enough to reach the strap pin on the bass I’m playing.

19 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

As far as the headphones go, @Chiliwailer recommended the Panasonic RP-HTX7 a few years ago and mine have operated faultlessly ever since. I wouldn’t get them from Amazon as they seem to be a bit pricey at the moment, but they can be found on eBay at a much more reasonable price point. The Panasonic’s from eBay and a £9.99 extension should see you well below your budget and I think you’ll be pleased with the quality.

I think these have been discontinued. Last set two sets I got had to be sent back because they were bloody awful, and not as good as previous sets. Either they were fake or factory seconds. :( 

Edited by Chiliwailer

The Studiospares M2000 are open backed, have a long lead (detachable and replaceable) and are currently £49. Quite a neutral sound, certainly not bass-hyped. I think they are being superceded soon so selling off at a really good price (were 69 quid for years).

They also have surprisingly low amounts of spill for tracking vocals, I was pleasantly surprised.

I think these would fit your criteria very nicely.

I got a pair of Sennheiser over-ear headphones about 7 years ago that have been fantastic. The cable is maybe 3m, great audio quality and cost me under £20. I don’t remember the model name but I need a new pair (I broke them, they were still going strong but I’m clumsy), and I’d happily buy the same again. Great for bass practice. 

Thanks for the info guys. I like the Sony MDR's. Heard some great reviews. Amazon have a good deal on the Beyer 990's.  Mick the little one is doing great. As are the other two little pain in the derrière Dachshunds. I used to have a pair of Beyer Dynamic DT990's but the dog destroyed them. Yes the pup nearly died that day, he also destroyed my Sadowsky strap, then I got a new one from Molan(Barrie), then he chewed the end of that one.  I was stupid enough to leave them lying around. Anyways I may spend the extra and get another pair of DT990's and not get a Turkey and Goose this year for the family. so were having sprouts ,stuffing, carrots, potatoes, pigs in blankets gravy and crackers..They will just have to deal with it 😆

• Haha 1

Grado. Every time. Sadly the SR80s aren't made any more but they fit your needs perfectly.

EDIT: Sorry - my old model is unavailable but there is a new SR80 e available https://www.amazon.co.uk/Grado-SR325e-Prestige-Backed-Headphone-Black-Silver/dp/B00L1LXOWS?th=1

Edited by stewblack

I bought some RHA over ears from Amazon a few years ago. They have a 3.5mm cable socket so I can swap from long to short cable depending on what I'm using them for. Didn't know OBBM did headphone cable but seeing that he does it's a no brainer!

I had a pair of Sony DJ headphones off eBay years back, very good for bass practice. 3m lead and you can swivel the ears really well. I'd look for DJ headphones if I were you.

Oh, and they can be had quite cheap. Mine were probably £20 ish, have lasted years with lots of use. Very good quality.

Edited by uk_lefty

One caveat I would add: I've found my cheaper sennheisers (202?) are good for the money, but don't handle loud uncompressed bass as well as the studiospares. I suspect this would be one of the distinctions between the £20 ish vs £50 ish phones across the board. If you don't practice too loudly, or aren't having to track in the same room as a live drummer, this would be less of an issue for you.

HTH

MBA