Why become a member? ×

How do you play reggae?

thepurpleblob

5 hours ago, ChrisDev said:

One of my favourite bands: Groundation ( California ) .

Groundation_157.jpg

Speaking of playing behind the beat..... 🤨

LOL! Seven boys in shorts and sandals think they smug 'cuz they pose with two sisters... Damn... This is a good example of Cultural Appropriation Plus +++...And this photo is in defense of what, exactly...?

What does this mean...? ""Speaking of playing behind the beat..... 🤨"" ???

An' they look like they never seen the sun in their lives...

(And what's that bandana for...? To prevent sweat pouring down his face as he cuts cane in the field...?

Does the word "poseurs" come to mind...?

Edited by StringNavigator

You really are an over opinionated racist fool aren't you 

i grew up in Tottenham listening to reggae [both uk and Jamaican] and have played it for most of my fifty years

i play with a band that consists of Jamaican, Indian ,Polish, Bermudan, mixed heritage and uk born

some of the white members of the band have played with some of the biggest names in reggae without any problem

i play the music from the streets i grew up in but reggae music is loved the world over ,and its message of unity and love is open to all.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Reggae does not come from the streets where you were raised...

Pointing out Cultural Appropriation is not racism. Cultural Appropriation is racism. Look in the mirror...

It's like informing an addict that he's stealing a man's ideas to gain fame or fortune for himself. All he can reply is "Deny, Deny, Deny!" (Or retaliate by name-calling.) Always remember that name-calling is the last refuge of an empty mind.

As I said before, I love and understand Reggae music and play it well. But I would never take to the stage as Euros do and "pretend" like a poseur that it's MY music... That's the very definition of cultural appropriation under the guise of multiculturalism.

Teen spirit didn’t come from Derby but it still spoke to me, I didn’t grow up in London but pretty vacant and god save the Queen were in me, The idea that location should in any way shape or form determine musical style/ interest/ quality is so against everything that good music stands for it’s painful. I remember being in a students union, filled with hundreds of people very few ethnic minorities amongst them, singing free Nelson Mandela at the top of my voice along with pretty much everyone else in the room. Music transcends boundaries, breaks down racial stereotypes and brings people together, to suggest otherwise makes scary reading to me.

Edited by T-Bay
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, StringNavigator said:

Reggae does not come from the streets where you were raised...

Pointing out Cultural Appropriation is not racism. Cultural Appropriation is racism. Look in the mirror...

It's like informing an addict that he's stealing a man's ideas to gain fame or fortune for himself. All he can reply is "Deny, Deny, Deny!" (Or retaliate by name-calling.) Always remember that name-calling is the last refuge of an empty mind.

As I said before, I love and understand Reggae music and play it well. But I would never take to the stage as you do and "pretend" that it's MY music... You're the very definition of cultural appropriation under the guise of multiculturalism.

But it does come from streets of London, Birmingham, etc. due to the huge influx or Caribbean peoples to Britain back in the mid/late 1900's.

• Like 2

You are funny :)

.And this photo is in defense of what, exactly...?

It's just a picture of the band 😂

What does this mean...? ""Speaking of playing behind the beat.....

Exactly what it says. Ryan Newman, the bass player, is playing behind the beat

39 minutes ago, timhiggins said:

some of the white members of the band have played with some of the biggest names in reggae without any problem

Exactly. A friend of mine loved playing reggae and got on a plane to Jamaica, lived there for 5 years, played with in a lot of the local bands, taught music and married a Jamaican beauty. Nobody ever mentioned CA :)

Edited by ChrisDev
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, T-Bay said:

Teen spirit didn’t come from Derby but it still spoke to me, I didn’t grow up in London but pretty vacant and god save the Queen were in me, The idea that location should in any way shape or form determine musical style/ interest/ quality is so against everything that good music stands for it’s painful. I remember being in a students union, filled with hundreds of people very few ethnic minorities amongst them, singing free Nelson Mandela at the top of my voice along with pretty much everyone else in the room. Music transcends boundaries, breaks down racial stereotypes and brings people together, to suggest otherwise makes scary reading to me.

I don't see any cultural appropriation in what you're describing... Do you know the difference between culture and location? Do you often switch the meaning of words to suit your argument? God Save The Queen and Cultural Appropriation...? Really...?

Your ancestors have been in the business of cultural appropriation and assimilation for centuries until they nearly wiped out hundreds of cultures and hundreds of peoples. The latest generation of corporate cultural pirates no matter how loud they sing.

13 minutes ago, Muzz said:

Au contraire, my judgemental and proscriptive friend...and you can pack it in with the 'Euros', too...

But this is a Reggae Band... They're not a bunch of Euro boys mimicking Reggae... You're argument has no basis.

Reggae comes from Jamaica... No matter what English boys want to believe... The world no loner belongs to you... Stop being so insular. The whole world is not here just for you.

19 minutes ago, ChrisDev said:

A friend of mine loved playing reggae and got on a plane to Jamaica, lived there for 5 years, played with in a lot of the local bands, taught music and married a Jamaican beauty.

LOL! Sounds like the poster boy for  cultural appropriation...

You and your fellow islanders have been in the EU for too long. English playing Reggae is like Germans playing Funk... Please don't do it...! Please...  

From Wikipedia: Cultural appropriation is the adoption of elements of a minority culture by members of the dominant culture. Because of the presence of power imbalances that are a by-product of colonialism and oppression, cultural appropriation is distinct from equal cultural exchange. Particularly in the 21st century, cultural appropriation is often considered harmful, and to be a violation of the collective intellectual property rights of the originating, minority cultures, notably indigenous cultures and those living under colonial rule. Often unavoidable when multiple cultures come together, cultural appropriation can include using other cultures' cultural and religious traditions, fashion, symbols, language, and songs.

Suck it up, son...

Stringnavigator I’ll ask you nicely to go and do something else before you get a Basschat holiday. I’ve spoken to you before about that chip on your shoulder and it looks like you’ve ignored it. So last warning. Thanks. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

You conveniently left out part of what I wrote when you quoted me, the fact that not a soul in Jamaica cared 😉

8 minutes ago, StringNavigator said:

You and your fellow islanders have been in the EU for too long. English playing Reggae is like Germans playing Funk... Please don't do it...! Please...  

you assume

I'm not from an island, although I love the UK, , I'm from the mainland where there are Germans playing fabulous funk (nope, not from Germany either)

And yeah, blocked

Edited by ChrisDev
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Muzz said:

But THAT reggae came from Manchester. 

THAT Reggae did not come from English boys... LOL! Location is not culture... Cultural theft to claim that as yours. 

But Culture can be brought to wherever people of that culture go to work. Transplanted.... by them. But it's not yours. Don't ever think that Reggae is British just because Caribbean people transplant their culture into new Caribbean communities. Britain did not invent everything. Perhaps it stole everything from others.

Don't claim another people's cultural music as yours, just because they play it in your country. Your post is the epitome of Cultural Appropriation...

2 hours ago, StringNavigator said:

If Reggae was fair game for Britz, they would not have to seek instruction in how it should be done. Do you need to ask how to play a Beatles tune or one by the Bay City Rollers? No. Because in those two cases you are not stealing someone else's culture.  

Bollox - there are whole forums dedicated to how to play the Beatles!

1 hour ago, StringNavigator said:

I don't see any cultural appropriation in what you're describing... Do you know the difference between culture and location? Do you often switch the meaning of words to suit your argument? God Save The Queen and Cultural Appropriation...? Really...?

Your ancestors have been in the business of cultural appropriation and assimilation for centuries until they nearly wiped out hundreds of cultures and hundreds of peoples. The latest generation of corporate cultural pirates no matter how loud they sing.

You really are an unpleasant individual, you know nothing of my ancestry. FYI, my ancestors fought tooth and nail for civil and workers rights, my father died very young as result of poor social conditions when I was a kid. I was brought up to love all people, all colours, all religions, all backgrounds. You would do well to do the same. 

Edited by T-Bay
  • Like 4