Why become a member? ×

Jazz pups with chunky neck?

Sir Spence

I’m a newbie, so please be gentle!

I’m a long-standing guitarist buying my first bass - I’m drawn to the Jazz tone and flexibility, but I know from guitaring that I like the feel and resonance of  chunky necks - a P-bass type of neck is more my thing

..so spending American Standard money or less, who makes something that I should take a closer look at?

Cheers

SS

32 minutes ago, Sir Spence said:

I’m a newbie, so please be gentle!

I’m a long-standing guitarist buying my first bass - I’m drawn to the Jazz tone and flexibility, but I know from guitaring that I like the feel and resonance of  chunky necks - a P-bass type of neck is more my thing

..so spending American Standard money or less, who makes something that I should take a closer look at?

Cheers

SS

Have you tried many basses yet?

The average Jazz neck is still a fair bit chunkier than any guitar neck I've ever played.

It might also be worth looking at PJ basses, you get at least as much versatility as the Jazz configuration and it would broaden the number potential candidates a fair bit.

I don't really have much experience with dual humbuckers but I imagine they also give a lot of options.

Finally, if it's versatility and flexibility you're after then you might want to consider instruments with an active preamp, especially those with an option to switch the bass to passive.

Jazz with a precision neck. Necks are interchangeable. An already existing hybrid can be cheaper as it is not "proper". I bought a Mexican precision with a jap jazz neck and a Seymour Duncan pickup for £116 a couple of years ago.  Sounds like the bass made with the leftover bits would suit you.

Welcome! BTW😀

Edited by GuyR

Cheers @Cato - appreciate the steer

Limited hands-on experience as I write, but I’m planning on spending a fair amount of time trying basses out tomorrow, so trying to triage and determine which stores to target.

For guitars, I like a neck at least an inch deep at the 1st fret and with really full shoulders (what’s called a ‘baseball bat U’ on a Telecaster 

I’m looking for classic tones, so something leaning heavily on the Fender classics seems a good shout to start with

SS

41 minutes ago, Sir Spence said:

I’m planning on spending a fair amount of time trying basses out tomorrow, so trying to triage and determine which stores to target.

For guitars, I like a neck at least an inch deep at the 1st fret and with really full shoulders (what’s called a ‘baseball bat U’ on a Telecaster 

Sounds like you've got it covered.

You can never go wrong by trying out as much gear as possible.

Edited by Cato

42 minutes ago, Sir Spence said:

Cheers @Cato - appreciate the steer

Limited hands-on experience as I write, but I’m planning on spending a fair amount of time trying basses out tomorrow, so trying to triage and determine which stores to target.

I’m looking for classic tones, so something leaning heavily on the Fender classics seems a good shout to start with

SS

I'd go for a five string Fender Jazz, chunky neck and jazz bass tones galore!