Why become a member? ×

Nad 4 stroke fumes

danbowskill

This amp caught my attention when they came out, I then forgot about it ....until Andertons had a killer black Friday deal on a few ( all gone now ).so I couldn't resist ;-).

I have a feeling it's going to be discontinued?

It's my first go with a parametric eq of any kind( bar ampeg mid selector) ......and I love it 🙂

The amp is clear, bright and very mid growley......and God damn it is very LOUD! should have gone for the 300w version in hindsight.

Only had the 1 jam with it but the sounds are very promising.Tons of tweaking to be had.20181130_201726.thumb.jpg.a0982769ae560605a2409f797a2f0d74.jpg

Edited by danbowskill

I picked one up too..already used it on a gig and got another tonight. It's very easy to use and capable of pretty much any bass tone you might want. 

The eq is very flexible and produces a very powerful sound which works great with the band and seems to be built like a tank.

I was interested in these when they came out but at this price it's an absolute bargain. Sonically it sits somewhere between my ABM and my old Ampeg but definitely has it's own thing going on. 

20181123_182924.jpg

Edited by skychaserhigh
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Very curious about these amps at this price. From your description, I’m gathering it be driven just a lil’ bit without having a pedal in front? And Is the compressor usable? And whilst I’m at it, what is the DI like? I remember the old Terror Bass having a DI that could set fire to desks made of brimstone! 

I've used the D.I. several times, it does it's job with no complaints.  The Compressor 'sort of' is the gain. It 'plumps' the sound up... it's very clean without the compression engaged and gets more rounded/fatter as you wind it up. 

Try one, they're great! I'd definitely start with the 300watt. The 500watt is ridiculous and the compression pushes it further... 

I think the 300w are £329 at the moment. I can't think of anything new for that money that can touch it. I guess if it had Mesa Boogie or the like on the front it be all over the the internet.

2 gigs in now and i am so pleased with this beastie. After 6-7 years of using (a lot of) class D amps, the sound I'm getting out of this is huge. Our guitarist turned round to me and said it sounded so much fuller.

One thing I did notice is that the fan sounds very loud, anyone else notice this?

6 minutes ago, Raggy said:

2 gigs in now and i am so pleased with this beastie. After 6-7 years of using (a lot of) class D amps, the sound I'm getting out of this is huge. Our guitarist turned round to me and said it sounded so much fuller.

One thing I did notice is that the fan sounds very loud, anyone else notice this?

My one only came on when the amp was hot ...... not till after a couple of hours practice mind and even then it wasn't very loud.

16 minutes ago, danbowskill said:

My one only came on when the amp was hot ...... not till after a couple of hours practice mind and even then it wasn't very loud.

Ok cheers danbowskill, Andertons did get back to me to say the fans are a little loud on these units, but nothing to worry about.

15 hours ago, Raggy said:

I was looking at these last night, sounds like the kind of head I’m after. Not a bad price either 

I have the 500. It’s a huge sounding beast, really versatile EQ,  and the compressor (sort-of-gain/fattener) is an absolute gem. Cuts though the mix like a knife through butter, and snarls without being fuzzy. If I was replacing it, I’d go for the 300 version as the 500 is silly loud - don’t think I’ve had it past the second notch on the dial!

Studio recording using a four stroke here (was mic-ed up with about 20% blend from the DI in the mix, and nothing else added).

• Like 2

23 hours ago, BluRay said:

I have the 500. It’s a huge sounding beast, really versatile EQ,  and the compressor (sort-of-gain/fattener) is an absolute gem. Cuts though the mix like a knife through butter, and snarls without being fuzzy. If I was replacing it, I’d go for the 300 version as the 500 is silly loud - don’t think I’ve had it past the second notch on the dial!

Studio recording using a four stroke here (was mic-ed up with about 20% blend from the DI in the mix, and nothing else added).

Sounds well that dude. Well they’re down to £439 for the 500 so I’ll be pulling the trigger on that later. Just need to sort a case for it next and jobs a good un!

On 01/12/2018 at 11:10, skychaserhigh said:

I picked one up too..already used it on a gig and got another tonight. It's very easy to use and capable of pretty much any bass tone you might want. 

The eq is very flexible and produces a very powerful sound which works great with the band and seems to be built like a tank.

I was interested in these when they came out but at this price it's an absolute bargain. Sonically it sits somewhere between my ABM and my old Ampeg but definitely has it's own thing going on. 

I've been toying with getting the ABM 600 rack mount version (currently £549 I believe).  How would you compare the 4-Stroke to the ABM?

Edited by Deedee

The ABM has quite a warm tone with lots of bottom end which I would roll off slightly and use a VT bass pedal to get the sound I want

With the Orange I've had to boost the low end slightly but managed to get a very similar sound without the pedal. The orange does have a lot of authority to its sound which I really like and to be honest I don't think you can go wrong with either amp.  The 4 Stroke is my go to amp now though , it's easy to get a great sound from no matter what your personal taste is.

• Thanks 1