Why become a member? ×

Best Sounding Bass Recording

Open E

1 hour ago, John T said:

For me moving pictures was probably the best era for Geddy's bass tone, in particular his 72 jazz used on Tom Sawyer....I do have a slightly biased opinion as i think Moving Pictures in it's day was in terms of production, song writing and musicianship a perfect illustration and showcase of the bands evolution and the end of that creative phase...Still holds up today, subjective i know but as close to a perfect recording as could be.

Think i would probably agree. As an overall package its hard to beat that album.

• Like 1

My last on this thread otherwise i just won't stop....So many great sounding basses on this popular subject i could go on for weeks!!.

The late Mike Starr with Alice in Chains..... The Spector NS2 just sounds ridiculously good, in fact the whole track is recorded so well. Crank this up from the first note🤘

Oh yeah and this from Mike Inez/Warwick streamer and a cranked sansamp di.....

Edited by John T
  • Like 2

My favourites are:

Flea on Blood Sugar Sex Magik: it was the tone that sold a million Stingrays. Until we found, out years later, that it was mostly recorded with a Wal! 

Randy Hope Taylor on Incognito's Postivity album. Warm, organic and so soulful. 

Too many others to mention, but Bernard Edwards, Tim Commerford (Rage Against the Machine), Steve Harris all had a great sound for their stand out tracks. I'd also normally try and sneak on my all time great, James Jamerson, in to these "great bass..."  discussions, but let's face it, the tone was mud. It was his playing and genius choice in notes and rhythm that made him legendary. 

• Like 3

Agreed. It would be easy to suggest everything I like ~ because I like the sound of it!

After saying that, Manni's sound on this album (mixed in with his excellent playing)... Recorded at Rockfield. 👍

Not bad for a Track 1, Side 1. And it sounds a lot better on the CD!

Edited by Ricky 4000

Geddy Lee - Hemispheres. I think a lot of the sound comes from his tightness with Neil Peart, to tell the truth, so perhaps not the bass sound by itself. :)

Ali McMordie's sound on the live SLF "Hanx!" album is a perennial favourite bass sound of mine - one of my favourite drum sounds and mixes on a live album, too.

Pete Way - "The Wild, The Willing & The Innocent" (track, not album).

Also, take your pick of Doug Pinnick's glorious bass sounds on the first 4 King's X albums, and Eric Avery's work on the first 2 Jane's Addictions - the track "Three Days" springs to mind.

• Like 1

Thanks for this thread, its made me remember things! Personally my ideal sound is basically anything REM have recorded, particularly Orange Crush. Or Duff Mckagan on anything Velvet Revolver. Its a shame Scott Weiland was such a nong, VR were good up until the occasionally WTAPF?!  jarring lyric...

See particularly:

and:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, operative451 said:

Thanks for this thread, its made me remember things! Personally my ideal sound is basically anything REM have recorded, particularly Orange Crush. Or Duff Mckagan on anything Velvet Revolver. Its a shame Scott Weiland was such a nong, VR were good up until the occasionally WTAPF?!  jarring lyric...

See particularly:

and:

I’d add REM’s Belong to Orange Crush too