Why become a member? ×

Stingray bargain?

Paddy515

Great price. Check the back of the headstock for the made in San Luis Obispo decal, if it’s not there then it’s a Jap Export model, which I think is still US parts. Pickguard looks changed, might be worth a peek at the preamp too, and check from soldering etc, to ascertain the pickup. Probably not an issue, but never know...

10 hours ago, Paddy515 said:

Is £650 not a bit of a bargain for this 20 year old with origonal case? (Ignore the £899)

sray.jpg

A 1998 honeyburst 2 band with original matt black pg, and very probably a figured maple neck (birds eye?), AND OHSC? For £650 that's a steal if all original. If my place wasn't already full of MM basses I would have bought that!!

Btw, those who prefer the 2 band pre amp, try a Stingray Special - I prefer them to my 2 bands - same sort of tonal area but more versatility - they done a great job on them 👍

8 hours ago, drTStingray said:

A 1998 honeyburst 2 band with original matt black pg, and very probably a figured maple neck (birds eye?), AND OHSC? For £650 that's a steal if all original. If my place wasn't already full of MM basses I would have bought that!!

Btw, those who prefer the 2 band pre amp, try a Stingray Special - I prefer them to my 2 bands - same sort of tonal area but more versatility - they done a great job on them 👍

The original matt guard on my 94 Ray was 3 ply, are you sure about this one? 

I remember the originals being white on this colour - could be wrong though. 

Edited by Chiliwailer

16 hours ago, Chiliwailer said:

The original matt guard on my 94 Ray was 3 ply, are you sure about this one? 

I remember the originals being white on this colour - could be wrong though. 

The earlier 90s colour is called sunburst and like yours, my 93 one has a matt white 3 ply. I've seen honeyburst (colour name from late 90s onwards) with black or white pg but as you say, not single ply so that may not be the original. Easy to replace with a matt original spec one from Chandlers though. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, drTStingray said:

The earlier 90s colour is called sunburst and like yours, my 93 one has a matt white 3 ply. I've seen honeyburst (colour name from late 90s onwards) with black or white pg but as you say, not single ply so that may not be the original. Easy to replace with a matt original spec one from Chandlers though. 

Love those matt guards, good to know about Chandlers.