Why become a member? ×

Strap with some grip

Andytre

I've recently really started enjoying the tone and play-ability of my mongrel precision MM bass, the only issue is due to the light weight body and heavy neck/ tuners its suffering from severe neck dive!

any know of any straps that are pretty grippy? 

i usually use Ernie Ball poly straps that are 2" wide and nice a long. i'm not a massive fan of leather straps or ones that are thick or padded. 

what materials am i looking out for denim? cotton? unobtanium-nickle-oxide alloy?

any advice would be great!

If you don't want to go for leather, you could try spraying the underside of your existing strap with the rubbery gunk designed to stop carpets moving around.

Alternatively: (a) reduce the neck weight by fitting lighter tuners, (b) make the body heavier by hanging an old phone case full of washers from the bridge-end strap button, or (c) make the upper horn longer to shift the balance point (I gained 50mm by using a 100mm bolt instead of the strap-button mounting screw OR there is a thread on here about adding a carbon fibre 'horn' to a steinberger/hohner type body)

I ended up selling my problem bass, so I hope you find a solution that works for you.

David

I'd say a Mono Betty/GS1 strap. The padding's not too thick, but they are grippy and comfy. Amazon were doing them for £35 (cheapest in the UK).

Those nylon webbing straps are only OK when you have an instrument that's well balanced anyway.

Have you seen this thread

When i got my Jack Casady bass recently none of my straps woudl hold it upright, and it has quite a pronounced neck dive. My fav strap is the Mono Betty, but that slides all over the place

After buying a couple of new straps, getting wider and wider i found this worked, but is a bit  on the short side for me

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000XPSGPS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I ended up with this. Its not cheap, but its extra long and very, very comfortable. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004GF6DXS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Both leather so i know they aren't really ideal, but Ive found suede to be the most grippy of materials.

I know you’ve said you don’t like leather straps, but a standard width leather strap with an ‘unfinished’ underside usually does the trick. Enough friction to stop neck dive but won’t tear the shirt off your back!

Edited by Deedee
Amended
  • Like 1

On 06/12/2018 at 07:32, naxos10 said:

Got a few straps you could try if your any where near Lichfield, Staffs.

thanks for the offer but its a bit out the way for me!

and thanks to every one else for input!

i think my issue with the leather straps and comfort style straps is the width, find anything wider than the 2" irritates me around the neck, also find that it can get quite sweaty underneath them. 

I've manged to borrow a cotton and a denim strap as well as i thin leather strap to try if any work. if all else fails its time for light weight machine heads but seems quite the expenditure on a bass that cost me about £30 to build!

• 7 months later...
Guest oZZma

I'm looking for an extra wide leather strap, >10 cm (4"), the wider the better.

Nothing too fancy, no frippery (total black would be ideal), no padding, single layer with unfinished (rough) underside, low budget. Anyone knows any manufacturer in EU? I'm not finding anything.

9 minutes ago, oZZma said:

I'm looking for an extra wide leather strap, >10 cm (4"), the wider the better.

Nothing too fancy, no frippery (total black would be ideal), no padding, single layer with unfinished (rough) underside, low budget. Anyone knows any manufacturer in EU? I'm not finding anything.

Have a look at Etsy. Find something that looks similar and contact them with a custom order. Most leatherworkers on there will make anything you want :)

Guest oZZma
6 minutes ago, ped said:

Have a look at Etsy. Find something that looks similar and contact them with a custom order. Most leatherworkers on there will make anything you want :)

Good idea, thank you!