Why become a member? ×

Volume Pedals (your advice please)

Fionn

I intend to add a volume pedal to my board. This will mainly be used for volume swells. It will be at the end of the chain. I play active basses.

Seems there are three basic types. Low impedance passive, high impedance passive, and active.

Because of the active bass element, I realise that it’s down to choosing between either a low impedance passive pedal, or an active one.

What would be the pros and cons between the two? Like, is there any tone-suck with the passive variants? Are there any specific issues with one type or the other that I should be aware of?

Also, I’m after a swell with a nice even taper. Recommendations appreciated.

Ta’

Edited by Fionn

I had a Dunlop DVP3 and it was very nice. Worked just fine with my active and passive basses - I certainly didn’t notice any tone suck. I’m a big guy and it felt really sturdy underfoot. The physical travel of the pedal was nice although I haven’t played a ton of different volume pedals so I may not be the best person to give a complete opinion on that. It can be used as an expression pedal as well, and with the flick of an internal switch the polarity of the expression output can be reversed. 

Just a really well made, well thought out product that does what it’s supposed to do!

I have a Morley Little Alligator, a few years old now but still a great pedal. It's active, very quiet and reasonably linear. It has a feature which I find very useful - you can set a minimum volume  threshold, so you're never plunged into silence if you get a bit over-enthusiastic!

I've been using a Boss FV30L for ages. It's small, solid metal and stereo, so I can run it in separate loops and/or use it as a dual expression / volume pedal. I'm not sure what an active pedal gives you over a passive one (provided it's low impedance) other than possibly adding a buffer if you need it, but it sounds like you don't. I've used high impedance pedals too, but these have always given roll off at the frequency extremes, so definitely Lo-Z or active.

• 2 weeks later...

Splashed out on a Lehle pedal last year. Seemed pricey for “just” a volume pedal, but I’ve been really pleased with it. Used it with loads of different basses including upright. No degradation whatsoever and very robust. Best volume pedal I ever owned.