Why become a member? ×

New Mesa Walkabout-style high powered amp WD-800....and new cabs...

Musicman20

6 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Someone who's actually tried one "in the flesh"... ok I accept it's just one person's opinion, but at least it comes from having heard the thing!

True.

I've met Chopthebass,  bought an Epifani cab off him, so I know he's got good ears, but opinions are personal and that's all. Reviews on Talkbass include "beautiful", " as good or better than any other Mesa head", "The WD can do a lot, tons of tones to be found in it", "WD800 sounded and felt thunderous". The opinions keep coming. No amp or cab will have 100% positive reviews, but so far Chopthebass is unique in that he's posted the only non-positive review I've seen.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

Everyone posts positive reviews, goes out and buys the shiny new thing, post even more positive reviews - then there’s a lull and their for sale post has even more positive reviews “best amp I’ve ever played , but....”

Yep. That's why we need to see the "second wave" reviews. The guys who are after a good amp rather than the latest amp.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

Everyone posts positive reviews, goes out and buys the shiny new thing, post even more positive reviews - then there’s a lull and their for sale post has even more positive reviews “best amp I’ve ever played , but....”

Absolutely 

I bought the d800+ on a wave of ‘amazing amp/tone nirvana’ reviews to find it a bit tame for my tastes.  

I love the Walkabout and so my interest was instantly piqued when I heard about the WD800.  But the truth usually lies in the post-euphoric reviews when the product is thoroughly gig tested with a variety of basses/cabs/situations.

...and ultimately for me how it compares to the original Walkabout.  Will it replace or coexist with my Silverface?

The great thing about the internet is that it enables us to research, try and then sell on gear very easily, and I LOVE it for that, as my Feedback Thread demonstrates :) 

What it took me too long to learn is the wisdom in YMMV, what works for other people - no matter how how expert, how experienced, how knowledgable and how authoritative in their statements - doesn't always work for me, or even apply to me. The downside of the web is that it made me very lazy; gone are the days when I would hit Denmark Street at 10.00am and stay until 6.00 A-Bing gear, now I just get the hots for something and push the button, knowing that I can probably sell it for what I paid for it if I don't like it (thanks BC). The web has also made us all impatient; an amp is released in the US and we want it here, now, and in the case of some of us, are prepared to take a huge risk that A) they like it and aren't about to throw the difference between new and used price down the drain, and 2) that it works fine and won't need to be sent back at huge expense. It's Mesa, it'll be OK, might even be great, but will also be expensive compared to similar units form other manufacturers, might have some early reliability issues, and will ultimately not be all that different from gear that can already be had elsewhere. 

Having said that, of course I'd love one. The Walkabout was a Gateway amp for me, in that like beer or weed, I soon habituated and wanted something that did the same but more. I tried pretty much every amp Mesa ever made, at least in the tubey space - M-PUlse 360 & 600, BB750, Bass 400 & 400+, Buster, D-180 - and never found it, which is why I've gone back to Ampeg, where I can't help thinking there is more of the WA on steroids to be found that at Mesa. So I'm just going to wait until the first used WD-800 comes up and pounce on that :) 

• Like 1

Ahhhh, but it's not necessarily the second thoughts: I traded an amp for a WA, played it for a while, had second thoughts and traded it back, and then bought another, and this one has stuck. If I had a fiver for every Stingray I've bought, had second thoughts about and sold, then a few months later bought another one, only to repeat the process, I'd have at least enough to buy a set of Elixirs...

It's more to do with where you are at a specific time with what you need an amp (or any piece of kit) to do. I used to own an SVT and an 810. Never again, and not because I didn't like the sound it made...

And on the back of that, one opinion on an amp is just that, and unless I knew that the person whose opinion it was had the same tone goals as I did, it wouldn't be any real use. I had a ToneHammer 500 and didn't like it at all, and I don't like Jazz basses (and they are two of the most widely liked pieces of kit you can buy), but I wouldn't expect a single person to listen to my opinion with anything more than a passing interest...a possibly a mutter of 'weirdo...' 🙂

You've only got to look at, for instance,  the difference in the avatar pics of the inestimable Beedster above mine to see that we just might have different tone goals...so something I might be gaga for isn't gonna work for him, and vice versa. And that's a good thing, otherwise there'd only be one type of bass, one amp and one cab, and then what would we all have to parp on about? 😀

Edited by Muzz
  • Like 2

Every gear post should start with IMO or IME. Chopthebass made it clear that his was a personal opinion. His opinion is actually based on experience, which isn't always the case on the internet. If enough "personal opinions" are heading one way then maybe that is cause to investigate further.

1 hour ago, Muzz said:

Ahhhh, but it's not necessarily the second thoughts: I traded an amp for a WA, played it for a while, had second thoughts and traded it back, and then bought another, and this one has stuck. If I had a fiver for every Stingray I've bought, had second thoughts about and sold, then a few months later bought another one, only to repeat the process, I'd have at least enough to buy a set of Elixirs...

It's more to do with where you are at a specific time with what you need an amp (or any piece of kit) to do. I used to own an SVT and an 810. Never again, and not because I didn't like the sound it made...

And on the back of that, one opinion on an amp is just that, and unless I knew that the person whose opinion it was had the same tone goals as I did, it wouldn't be any real use. I had a ToneHammer 500 and didn't like it at all, and I don't like Jazz basses (and they are two of the most widely liked pieces of kit you can buy), but I wouldn't expect a single person to listen to my opinion with anything more than a passing interest...a possibly a mutter of 'weirdo...' 🙂

You've only got to look at, for instance,  the difference in the avatar pics of the inestimable Beedster above mine to see that we just might have different tone goals...so something I might be gaga for isn't gonna work for him, and vice versa. And that's a good thing, otherwise there'd only be one type of bass, one amp and one cab, and then what would we all have to parp on about? 😀

I think one odd thing is that people will waxlyrical about a bit of gear, but saying what they use it for is less mentioned - a once a month metal band is different to a cruise ship jazz band is different to a indie rock touring band  is different to a ... and so on. 

If you were in a band where it was not that frequent but it was a very much enjoyed hobby to pull on the tight Lycra a play some great 80s rock classics you might justify the SVT and 810... whereas the wedding reception band probably want something quicker to load in and out 

• Like 2

Guys,

The head is certainly loud enough with plenty of girth to the sound. I was trying with Subway 15 & 2x10. My only comment was the subtlety of some of the controls. Maybe my ears are on the way out!! Seriously I just expected there to be more of an audible difference tweaking the two controls I mentioned. And as Chris said it is only my opinion. I have bought things on the strength of internet review (and even the UK bass player magazine) and been disappointed. So if you are able to try one out I suggest you do so, and see what you think.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This thread has gone quiet: I'm guessing that the £1,300 price tag has pretty much choked off demand?!

Showing as available from Jan 2019 from Bass direct website.

I had a go at matching the rather juicy "warm valve" sound at 1.13+ on my Mesa M6 with the gain dialled up - wasn't getting anything nearly as crunchy via my VK cab, but did get something closer when recording directly from the DI (post EQ) out (now that I have managed to lay my hands on the right xlr cable to allow me to do this :)I've uploaded a clip - let me know if you agree? 

Must admit I was surprised by the quite significant difference between taking a DI out and what I'm hearing through the cab, it was a bigger difference than I'd expected - the cab producing a warmer, sweeter, and more rounded tone.

Schecter-8&MesaM6 (high gain).WAV

Edited by Al Krow

1 hour ago, krispn said:

@Al Krow

What about connecting a mic and recording the same part again? The Mesa demo looks like its being mic'd. Might be more representative?

Well it would be a good excuse to "crack open" the Rode NT1A :)

(But I suspect it would probably warrant recording on something less "quick and dirty" than a Boss RC-30...) 

4 hours ago, Al Krow said:

This thread has gone quiet: I'm guessing that the £1,300 price tag has pretty much choked off demand?!

I am looking to get one in Feb, subject to a successful test drive. This is still cheaper than my Glock Blue Rock and therefore could be a relative bargain! :D 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bobthedog said:

I am looking to get one in Feb, subject to a successful test drive. This is still cheaper than my Glock Blue Rock and therefore could be a relative bargain! :D 

Good stuff! 

I take it you're a fan of the Glock Blue Rock or will you potentially be looking to move that on?

If I were after an amp, it would be this one or the D800+. But the realisation that I only ever use my amp in the rehearsal place makes me think that an amp is of much less importance now than before. All my gigs are direct to the mixer (and godawful monitoring...but that is another thread!) with only a few having house backline included. 

55 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Good stuff! 

I take it you're a fan of the Glock Blue Rock or will you potentially be looking to move that on?

I love the Blue Rock but it is perhaps a little too modern alongside my Roscoe bass. I may move it on if the WD-800 does the business. 

14 hours ago, Bobthedog said:

I love the Blue Rock but it is perhaps a little too modern alongside my Roscoe bass. I may move it on if the WD-800 does the business. 

Really look forward to getting an in depth review of the WD-800.

It seems it's pretty much pitched in the same high end space as the Glock Blue Rock and the Glock does have a built in drive section to provide added grit, so I would have guessed there may not be too much separating these two!

You've got some pretty quality gear!

What cab(s) are you currently using?

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Really look forward to getting an in depth review of the WD-800.

It seems it's pretty much pitched in the same high end space as the Glock Blue Rock and the Glock does have a built in drive section to provide added grit, so I would have guessed there may not be too much separating these two!

You've got some pretty quality gear!

What cab(s) are you currently using?

Thank you. I am using a Barefaced Big Twin II and a Markbass CMD121P combo for those quieter moments.

Call me skeptical on this new amp.

So I kind of got off a Class D train here are some of my cons on the new WD amp

If you do the research and go back and look there are countless statements by the engineer that design this amp on the internet where he says they can never design and amp to sound like the Walkabout series it can't be done so now he wants us to believe he did it?

The WD Maybe a good I am but I'm sure it's not a walkabout in any shape or form then the other argument is the old Walkabout isn't loud enough and I've used mine and countless situations with two twelves at 4 on and it's freaking plenty loud for any imaginable situation unless you're playing arena games so I call BS on that one

Then there's the whole rated wattage of this amp notice they claim it's 800w but look at the THD it's at 10% Distortion which in my opinion is unusually high for a high-end piece of gear at 1% this is probably a 500 watt amp and that's just a guesstimation

now here's the next question when is this amp going to be Obsolete and they're going to come out with a new improved version? This seems to be the goal of the day make these little small light way inexpensive to build products and a couple years down the road make them obsolete so everybody wants the new version I am off of that train

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Blues Marvel said:

The WD Maybe a good I am but I'm sure it's not a walkabout in any shape or form then the other argument is the old Walkabout isn't loud enough and I've used mine and countless situations with two twelves at 4 on and it's freaking plenty loud for any imaginable situation unless you're playing arena games so I call BS on that one

I always found the WA started to lose something when the volume went up, lovely tone for sure, but didn't cut through anything like it could at lower volumes. Dare I use the h*** word, and say it lacked it at higher volumes?

What cab were you using Chris? I run a WA with a Super Twin in a rawk band with two very loud (Marshalls & 412) guitarists and a shedbuilder of a drummer, and it goes very, very loud with no lack of anything. I mean ear-hurting loud...

3 minutes ago, Muzz said:

What cab were you using Chris? I run a WA with a Super Twin in a rawk band with two very loud (Marshalls & 412) guitarists and a shedbuilder of a drummer, and it goes very, very loud with no lack of anything. I mean ear-hurting loud...

I was using the 8ohm Walkabout combo with the matching Mesa 8ohm extension cab, stacked vertically. Compared to, for example, my SVT, and at similar volumes, there was no competition, the latter has everything I needed, the Walkabout was lacking something. Loud yes, h*** no :)