Why become a member? ×

New Mesa Walkabout-style high powered amp WD-800....and new cabs...

Musicman20

18 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

They look very interesting I have to say. Not sure how a multi-speaker cab is going to be particularly lightweight but the head does look very good - in theory.

Their 42lb 210 beats the 100lb Road Ready 210 EV I used 20 years ago!!

22 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Class D? I remain sceptical.

Logical, I am also still not a convert. My D800 comes really close, but it is no match for my BB750. That said, I find that especially on bigger gigs where I use my amp mainly for stage sound I am taking the D800 as it's muuuuuuuuuuuuccccccchhhhh lighter and does give me the Mesa tonal character I like.

Going off piste a little, my guitardist has a Vox MV50 Clean mini amp with Nutube ....... blew me away! Not sure how good it would be for bass though, literally not a clue, but man for guitar it sounded anything but solid state.

I'm guessing £1200+. 

IIRC, one of the guys from Genz Benz moved over to Mesa about 4 years back, so I presume this is part of his work on high powered lightweight class D bass amps.

The technology is constantly moving on. Personally I can't see how/why they would release this without getting close to the old design. 

48 minutes ago, Musicman20 said:

I'm guessing £1200+. 

Emphasis on the + I think. I guess they discontinued the Walkabout with something like this in mind, but I very much doubt it'll get the same following.

Re price, Mesa stuff is lovely but the prices make it a luxury. The older/heavier stuff is selling so cheap these days also, check this out, £1K for a rig the size of a small house https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mesa-Engineering-Pro-Bass-Rig/253994307565?hash=item3b233d8fed:g:J5wAAOSwhexb9rsc:rk:4:pf:0 

The WD-800 can perform as a stand-alone Head or be mounted in 2 Spaces within standard 19” Racks by attaching the optional Rack Ears (not included).

Total pet peeve of mine, but no it can't, because there's no input on the back. I saw the aux input and thought 'finally!' but it's for an mp3 player or something, not for a bass.

14 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Mesa are a class act. They do not cut corners or make exaggerated claims for their gear, so if they say they have produced the next generation Walkabout I'd expect them to have come up with a great sounding amp.

+1 ^^

This looks like a seriously impressive piece of kit! Potentially a great alternative to the top of the range Aguilar DB751. 

20 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Mesa are a class act. They do not cut corners or make exaggerated claims for their gear, so if they say they have produced the next generation Walkabout I'd expect them to have come up with a great sounding amp.

I would have agreed in the past, but the latest tube heads didn't seem to go down too well, either tonally or from a reliability PoV. 

I'm open to being convinced, but I can't see this head replicating the WA's magic.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The59Sound said:

What an amazing looking amp this will sound absolutely -

Ah, wait. Class D. Will be crap then.

When is this sort of thinking going to go away? Stop listening with your eyes, people. 

It's kind of hard to listen properly though a laptop monitor. Until then, all we can do is crack on about it.

...if that's OK with you.

15 minutes ago, jacko said:

D-class with a tube. Will probably sound amazing and be as reliable as anything else on the market. Shame they've given it a bloody parametric eq. That was the one thing that made me get rid of my m-pulse 600. 

What's wrong with a para-EQ? That's about as good as an EQ can get surely?