Why become a member? ×

Eden Nemesis NC810!

MythSte

An 810? In a Combo? Yeah, it works! aha.

First impressions;

This thing is LOUD! Like, Cant go past 2 with the gain set generously low due to things falling off shelves loud! At 390 watts its not short of power, And boy, does it show.
The semi parametric EQ and Enhance Pots are very easy to use, and with great results. The Enhance just removes some low mids, great for slap or softer funk. And with the semi parametric i can dial in some really ballsy punchy tones too.
But what i notice most about this compared to my ol (and cheap) warwick rig is the clarity at volume, yes the room is shaking, but i can still hear every note as clearly as it should be, and ive yet to hear the slightest bit of mud come from it, its just punch punch punch.

Im also Glad that it came with An Eden Nemesis Logo (Silver version of the Eden Logo, with nemesis Written where "David" Is written on the Goldface Cabs) Instead of that ghastly Nemesis Blue thing.

And this may come to a surprise for many of you, but it isnt actually to hard to move about! its not that heavy, and quite an easy two man lift, even when standing. Otherwise you can just tilt it back and roll it very freely. To compare, A Gallien Krueger SBX810 2 is 143 lbs, and a Hartke 810XL is 145 Lbs, Both also capable of handeling 800watts, like this, Whereas the nemesis weighs only 120 lbs. Still, a heafty beast, but not as hard as one might think!

I shall get pictures asap, And a quick write up of how she holds up in a live situation will follow shortly :)

Chuffed!

• 2 weeks later...

Just a bit of a follow up, I think im in a position To give a slightly more detailed View.

Played through her at practise a few times now, Our studio Room consists of 50watt all tube/4x12 100watt/2x12 800watt/4x15(Synths) and a very noisy drummer. all cranked (hearing protection is a must as far as im concerned) and boy, does this girly kick! Ive managed to push to about half volume, but then i start getting complaints! a very nice feeling when you consider i was asking others to turn down so my rig could keep up once upon a time!

I had some Issues with the EQ to start with, I found it really hard to cut through the mix with some of my usual GT6B Settings. After a few practices it dawned on me that of course it was going to sound sh*t with settings that were made to sound good on my old warwick rig. I scrapped all the modeling that was on my pedal, set everything Flat and bam. there it was. Tone heaven! (I think this is where i start to use single pedals!)

What i really like is the Ability to Cut on every note. This is where i found i really wasnt keen on Ampegs, To my ears they have a sort of Golden Range, but beyond that the tone is completly different, and even volume dips on occasion. IMO. Very pleased that i managed to pick this up, and ill try and get pics! ugh!

The weight thing really isnt an issue with this!

Ill give you some more comparisons, Cos it makes me happy! haha.

Ampeg 810 and svt3 Pro = 165+26 191
GK 810 and 700rb = 143+16.5 159.5

NC810 [b]120[/b]

its no neo but i Seriously dont know where the weight is! Still havnt sorted out pics. Ugh!

Edited by ste_m3

[quote name='ste_m3' post='43553' date='Aug 9 2007, 11:30 PM']What im getting at is that this weighs the same as a warwick Neo810... When its not neo and has a 400watt amp too... Little bit bemused.[/quote]

Most of the weight of a speaker cab is the cab itself, not the speakers. Nemesis cabs are made from compressed recycled cardboard which weighs less than the 3/4" ply that most cabs are made from, whilst remaining sufficiently stiff. I presume the downside is that the impact strength is lower so they might not withstand repeated heavy handling on tour but that doesn't matter if you don't have roadies. If you self-build you can use 1/2" ply with extra bracing for the best of both worlds.

Also 10" woofers can be made with stamped frames and work just as well as cast frames and moderately sized magnets will often produce better lows than big magnets at the expense of midrange output, both saving more weight over the cast frame heavy magnet approach that the marketing department like.

Are the wheels good? If not, retrofit some big edgemount casters. Likewise if you haven't got skid rails on the back.

Alex

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='alexclaber' post='43703' date='Aug 10 2007, 12:17 PM']Also 10" woofers can be made with stamped frames and work just as well as cast frames[/quote]

[quote name='alexclaber' post='43703' date='Aug 10 2007, 12:17 PM']moderately sized magnets will often produce better lows than big magnets at the expense of midrange output, both saving more weight over the cast frame heavy magnet approach that the marketing department like.[/quote]

I wish I knew what that meant. It looks like very useful info.

[quote name='ste_m3' post='57002' date='Sep 7 2007, 02:41 PM']thanks man! I still cant get over how easy this thing is to move about (well, in the scope of things!)

and i never got round to thanking Alex for his explanation on the weight, thankyou![/quote]

No problem. It's reassuring that you're finding this quite easy to move - the next cab I plan to build will not be a whole lot smaller, being 39" high x 20" wide x 17" deep. Kickback casters are such a good idea!

[quote name='The Funk' post='57000' date='Sep 7 2007, 02:40 PM']I wish I knew what that meant. It looks like very useful info.[/quote]

Here's a typical ported 8x10" (probably very similar response to this combo):

Here's a ported 8x10" with huge magnets (like Basson cabs):

Note how although the response looks somewhat like it goes lower because the sharp downturn happens lower down, there is much less sensitivity in the lows through to the low midrange. I'm not 100% sure on the technical reason behind this but I've seen a lot of drivers that superficially look like great woofers (high Xmax, low Fs, high sensitivity) exhibit this kind of response where although the sensitivity is high in the midrange it decreases as you get into the lows. I believe it's tied in with increasing Bl (the magnetic field strength across the voice coil in the gap) causing increased sensitivity in the mids but also increasing the back EMF when the voice coil moves - so as the voice coil moves further (which is what happens with bass frequencies) it generates a voltage that pushes back against the voltage from the amp, diminishing response.

This is one of the reasons why Acme cabs can produce such huge lows from small cabs - by skewing the usual balance of Bl (magnet strength), Cms (suspension compliance) and Mms (cone mass) and then providing enough Xmax (cone excursion) to take advantage of that extra bottom. The only downside of doing that is you need a midrange driver to fill in where the woofers run out of steam, which adds cost and complexity - particularly in the crossover design - but you then get the added bonus of improved polar response by avoiding trying to get high midrange out of a woofer. I mentioned to Andy a few years ago that I'd read some stuff on back EMF in the voice coil and his response was that he'd never seen any good info on that and was then writing what he felt was the definitive paper on the subject! I presume he's been too busy building cabs to get it finished...

Alex

I love when you post this kind of information Alex. You convey great knowledge in a clear understandable way. Not saying I clearly understand all of it but am sufficiently interested by your posts to investigate further where I may by unclear. Thank you.

Edited by stewblack