Why become a member? ×

Bands with Two Bass Players

el borracho

The Beach Boys.

Well alright, not the original lineup, but if you fast-forward to a lot of the SMiLE-era recordings, several of the songs feature an upright bass and either a Precision or a Bass VI. It's particulalry noticeable on Good Vibrations, where the upright plays root notes during the verse, while Carole Kaye (I think?) plays some nicely palm-muted arpeggios up the dusty end of a Precision.

21 hours ago, ahpook said:

Great band, I remember being very much into 'Mettle' at the time.

Shall I ? Go on then

You've made my day. I've never seen that before. There are a few bits of footage of HL playing live in London, but I never thought for a minute they would have actually made a video. Thank you...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Painy said:

That's exactly what I'm talking about -- it's wrong -- like two blokes having sex with one bird is wrong -- but in all honesty I'll probably watch it. 

edit: Yep, it was exactly as I imagined it would be... 

Edited by Ricky 4000
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

Were originally an amalgamation of two bands and had two bass players as well as two drummers!

I know a bloke who was in Showady, in the 80s / 90s. Incredibly busy band. One year they did something like 340 gigs. Probably needed shifts of bass players. 😌

1 minute ago, Ricky 4000 said:

I know a bloke who was in Showady, in the 80s / 90s. Incredibly busy band. One year they did something like 340 gigs. Probably needed shifts of bass players. 😌

Yeah, I worked alongside them a couple of times, and they were always busy and in demand. Put on a good show, and the guitarist was mega! Nice set of blokes too. Also did a gig at a club called Jimmy Dean's ( somewhere in Leicestershire I think? ) which was part owned by one of the drummers. 

• Like 1

Two bass players was a bit of a post hardcore / post rock thing for a while. Rothko have been mentioned. GVSB had two. Godspeed You Black Emperor have at least two of everything and Dianogah have always been two basses and a drummer. Quite different approaches though. GSYBE is all about monolithic heaviness. Dianogah really separate the sound of the two instruments. GVSB seem to replace one of the basses with key parts now. 

Back in the late 90s there was a band called Billy Mahonie. They were absolutely awesome, fantastic live shows. They had 2 bassists. One was particularly agitated on stage and, shrouded in the smoke from his cigarette, would often stumble on the drum kit.

They’ve done a couple of gigs recently!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, floFC said:

Back in the late 90s there was a band called Billy Mahonie. They were absolutely awesome, fantastic live shows. They had 2 bassists. One was particularly agitated on stage and, shrouded in the smoke from his cigarette, would often stumble on the drum kit.

They’ve done a couple of gigs recently!

Ah yes, I forgot Billy Mahonie. They were indeed fantastic, I may just have to listen to some now...

The band I was in at the time supported them once or twice, ahem.

Edited by ahpook

5 hours ago, ahpook said:

Ah yes, I forgot Billy Mahonie. They were indeed fantastic, I may just have to listen to some now...

The band I was in at the time supported them once or twice, ahem.

Ooh! My have seen you back in the day then. What was the band? Still like listening to them. They have performed a couple of times at The End Festival (or something like that) the past few years. They were still awesome, albeit no longer smoking on stage :)

2 hours ago, floFC said:

Ooh! My have seen you back in the day then. What was the band? Still like listening to them. They have performed a couple of times at The End Festival (or something like that) the past few years. They were still awesome, albeit no longer smoking on stage :)

The band was called Kyote. Glad to hear Mahonie are still at it.

Anyone remember Heist from the mid '80s? I liked them at the time but could not listen to them today. Too much GADDACLANK-CLANK-CLANK-CLANK. I dropped Slap before the '90s arrived and don't regret it.

Wasn't there some old footage of Chris Squire and Steve Howe playing something called 'Bass Odyssey'?