Why become a member? ×

Bands with Two Bass Players

el borracho

Came across this on Youtube - a band called Deaf School. I can't remember them at all but unusually they have two bass players.

Anyone know of any more (apart from Spinal Tap obviously!!)

EDIT  Just realised they  haven't - it was a banjo headstock 😂😂

Edited by el borracho

The early 1970s version of Captain Beefheart's Magic Band had a dedicated bassist, Roy Estrada (named Orejon by Captain Beefheart, i.e. Don Van Vliet) and also an occasional second bassist Mark Boston (named Rockette Morton - who also played guitar and was sometimes credited as 'rhythm bass'). The rest of the band were Art Tripp III, (Ed Marimba - drums), Eliot Ingber (Winged Eel Fingerling - guitar), and Bill Harkleroad (Zoot Horn Rollo - guitar). Plus the Captain himself, of course.

There's sometimes two basses here. It may not be to everyone's taste:

Edited by EssentialTension
  • Like 1

Back in 1996 I was asked by some school friends (who had heard that I played bass) if I'd come and have practice with them just for one evening as their normal bass player couldn't make it. 

I impressed them enough that they asked me that to join their fledgling band and agreed between them that they would sack their current bass player as they felt he wasn't really up to the task. We then agreed to get together again the next evening as everyone was keen to have another go ASAP. 

The next day at school, word got back to the other guy that he was about to get the boot but nobody had a chance to speak to him directly. That evening we were setting up in the singer's garage when there was a knock on the door. Turned out to be the other bass player's mum come to tell everyone off for being mean to her son. Of course everyone sheepishly denied that they were planning to sack him and that's how we ended up with 2 bass players for our first half a dozen gigs. 

Unfortunately it sounded pretty dreadful and the guy had all the stage presence of half a house brick and slightly less musical ability so in the end I got fed up and told everyone that if they were too scared of his mum to sack him then I'd do it. 

Later on at a hastily called band meeting at the local play-park and after an awkward 15 minutes going on the swings and down the slide workout saying anything I eventually told him he was out of the band. 

Didn't feel great about it at the time to be fair but 22 years and around 1500 gigs later I'm still with the band and the only bass player so it all worked out in the end. 

Saw Little Richard years ago and he had two bass players onstage - an old guy playing all the proper low end stuff, and a younger bloke in a flash jacket doing some dance moves whilst playing the odd upper register stuff over the top of it. Very strange.

I saw a Stanley Clark gig at Hammersmith Odeon with a regular bassist in his band.

The 2 bass player band that stands out for me is Dumpaphunk. Tony Hall and Nick Daniels, both ex-Neville Brothers bassists. They have 3 basses on stage when Ivan Neville picks one up.