Why become a member? ×

I am very tensed.....

abartoha

Hello, my name is Al Razi, I'm from a normal Bangladeshi town and I started with a guitar around January 2017. I alwaus aspired to be a bassist, after hearing Steve Harris playing in the Running Silent and Run To The Hills record that I had forgotfully opied and heard unintentionally (I was actually hearing funny banters and cutscene audio clips of GTA:VC, so it was obvious to think that it was an impossible 'Love Muffin' track, lol), it was an unforgettable moment, and I had to pick up the bass......

The first day I bought the guitar, I didn't learn to play chords (I did, some weeks later), I was actually practising rest strokes, galloping, fretting and more. With that shitty acoustic guitar (30$ Brand new), I was actually making some progress, until the bridge, one day, broke off and slingshotted through the window.

4 days after that, with the scholarship money I bought another acoustic, with a pickup. I still didn't believe how fun it was to actually play this guitar, I love to play on that acoustic. The action is super low, the frets don't buzz (unless you're strumming) and the bridge was adjustable, a little. The only drawbacks are the tuners and the pickup, though I don't require the pickup that much, but it's a hot rail and humbucking, pretty silent and growly- all in a package of 69$ (no pun intended. I learned Jazz. Blues, Rock, Metal, Bluegrass and Funk songs all with this beat up.

I have a group with my friends with whom I had to be disappointed in two gigs. There is this friend of mine who has been playing classical and jazz for 6 years, came to our group and had a school gig (our school), he promised to bring a bass, well, he 'promised'.

Then there was this other group, who weren't that good, the guitatist didn't have the chops and the riffs were too sloppy (forget about the lead stuffs) and he was desperate to find a bassist (for the 'Band Fest'), so I went- he liked me- but the Fest Committee refused to add him as he didn't have either the chops or a settled drummer. So, I was pretty much frustrated because by that time my family was looking at my pocket.

Last week, I was called by a band to hang out and jam for a day with them. So I went there, they asked me to hear two songs and habe something noodling around. The problem was- I broke my guitar saddle for that my exam has come near (Metriculation exam on February). But I still got to jam with them, the most senior member- the drummer stated that I was 'for the job' and the vocalist, who asked me to come, told me that I was in, atleast for the recording of their materials. The drummer liked me a lot amd he was a really great one, none like I've had the chance to handshake with. The vocalist plays rhythm guitat too, just necessarily. The lead player is a hybrid of Kerry King and "Kirk Hammett without the wah pedal but still playing wah licks and lines"- reckless but in the end, to the point, nothing at all in between- just deep s**t.

I think, if possible and needed, I'll play keyboards too though there are a lot of better keyboardists. The band is settled around hard rock and shredding. I'll try to do a decent job. Now-

Please Tell Me what should I do about my bass EQ, there will be a rhythm and a lead, while I remain fairly behind- which frequencies should I 'generally' target or avoid. I found out recording each guitar on each channel and putting the bass on both channels surely helps the bass sacrifice less frequencies and still have a good sound (constantly on Iron Maiden.

Peace Guys.

• Like 1